Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: McCall's and Copyright

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    Have you seen the statement in the current issue of Mccall Magazine. The statement says that any quilt can be made and exhibited with credit to designer. They say they are the first magazine to do this.

  2. #2
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    36
    yeah-----------great news.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Roswell, NM
    Posts
    1,636
    That came only after, in a previous issue, they stated you could not do any quilt from their mag and show it in a quilt show unless you had written permission from them. Guess they got a lot of letters and amended it to just giving credit so saying they are the first mag to do this may be true but wasn't just given from the goodness of their hearts it would seem.

  4. #4
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thank you for sharing this great news Holice :D:D:D

  5. #5
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    Thanks for letting us know.

  6. #6
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    That came only after, in a previous issue, they stated you could not do any quilt from their mag and show it in a quilt show unless you had written permission from them. Guess they got a lot of letters and amended it to just giving credit so saying they are the first mag to do this may be true but wasn't just given from the goodness of their hearts it would seem.
    This is good news. But I also agree, it isn't because they had warm fuzzy feelings. LOLQ

  7. #7
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,212
    I call this shoot themselves in the foot.
    Sure, technically, legally, maybe even morally, it's a sue-able issue for magazines, et al, but let's face it, any publishing company or even fabric company is going to go bankrupt chasing after purchasers, who "infringe" upon "their " rights, for using the patterns and prints so available to the quilting industry in every format. There just aren't enough "quilt police," open court dates, or available judges to handle all the instances of this "infringement" in this country.

    It seems plain silly to me to openly display and sell ones fabric line, patterns, quilts made, and shop displays to the public and then turn around and tell them they can't use those things for half the reasons they might be purchased. Back to shoot yourself in the foot......

    Jan in VA

  8. #8
    Super Member Lynnejean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    I call this shoot themselves in the foot.
    Sure, technically, legally, maybe even morally, it's a sue-able issue for magazines, et al, but let's face it, any publishing company or even fabric company is going to go bankrupt chasing after purchasers, who "infringe" upon "their " rights, for using the patterns and prints so available to the quilting industry in every format. There just aren't enough "quilt police," open court dates, or available judges to handle all the instances of this "infringement" in this country.

    It seems plain silly to me to openly display and sell ones fabric line, patterns, quilts made, and shop displays to the public and then turn around and tell them they can't use those things for half the reasons they might be purchased. Back to shoot yourself in the foot......

    Jan in VA
    Amen sista!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    601
    McCall's had a very nice follow-up article that explained a lot of questions that some people raised after the initial article the riled up so many. They explained their position very clearly in it. I would recommend that anyone with questions check it out.

  10. #10
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    Thank for letting us know!

  11. #11
    PattyAllayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    47
    Our maine quilt chapter mailed out a letter telling us any quilts being admitted into our next state quilt show has to have approval from original owner/company of your quilt design. I would think this would start to eliminate a lot of people's quilt entries that do not want to bother with this next step. What do you think?

  12. #12
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,212
    Quote Originally Posted by PattyAllayne
    Our maine quilt chapter mailed out a letter telling us any quilts being admitted into our next state quilt show has to have approval from original owner/company of your quilt design. I would think this would start to eliminate a lot of people's quilt entries that do not want to bother with this next step. What do you think?
    Refer to post above.....shoot themselves in the foot.:shock:

    Jan in VA

  13. #13
    Super Member justflyingin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jozefow, Poland
    Posts
    4,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by PattyAllayne
    Our maine quilt chapter mailed out a letter telling us any quilts being admitted into our next state quilt show has to have approval from original owner/company of your quilt design. I would think this would start to eliminate a lot of people's quilt entries that do not want to bother with this next step. What do you think?
    Refer to post above.....shoot themselves in the foot.:shock:

    Jan in VA
    I agree.

    If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then making another's quilt pattern to enter into a quilt competition is the ultimate compliment. What do they want from it--Money? Didn't you already buy the pattern?

  14. #14
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by PattyAllayne
    Our maine quilt chapter mailed out a letter telling us any quilts being admitted into our next state quilt show has to have approval from original owner/company of your quilt design. I would think this would start to eliminate a lot of people's quilt entries that do not want to bother with this next step. What do you think?
    If you can get the owner/company to respond. I have asked permission from several pattern designers (when I can a valid contact info) for certain things and waited for weeks and never got a reply. And most of these designers with a website and are usually in all the magazines. If they are too busy to reply then I'm too busy to inquire.

  15. #15
    Super Member CoriAmD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Orion, Mich
    Posts
    1,634
    yes, I saw that... great idea for them to print this so everyone understands

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.