Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
McKenna Ryan Calling Me Home Early Riser  SUGGESTIONS >

McKenna Ryan Calling Me Home Early Riser SUGGESTIONS

McKenna Ryan Calling Me Home Early Riser SUGGESTIONS

Old 09-21-2013, 07:19 PM

Default McKenna Ryan Calling Me Home Early Riser SUGGESTIONS

I am about to begin to make this pattern. I purchased a kit. Does anyone have ANY recommendations/suggestions/tutorials to review, etc. before I begin?? This will be my first attempt at such appliqué, although I have done a few other minor things. Looking forward to your responses. I am making this for my husband's 60th birthday. Hopefully I can do it while he is away on a two week vacation..... YIKES.
MA
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM

Hi,
I posted about MR quilts a while back, and got some great pics with replies. I will put the link to the post at the bottom of mine. There is also a member here, her board name is applique. She does amazing applique work (apt board name for her..lol). She was very helpful when I was inquiring about MR quilts. If she doesn't see your post you may pm her and I am sure she will be happy to answer questions for you. Her avatar pic is an applique wolf she made, it is so detailed it looks like a painting.
Have you done "regular" applique much? I know having a pair of scissors specifically for the tiny applique parts is really helpful, I got mine on Amazon, I will put the link to them at the end of this message, too. As far as fusibles, I really like Heat n Bond, but it seems like Wonder Under is less stiff...I use both, depends on what I am making. Oh, and a non-stick pressing sheet is a must have...
I will see what else I can think of, and I know others will be along to help you out. Be sure and post pics of your progess, too!!!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t145098.html
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-988870..._1_10?ie=UTF8&
Regards,
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 09-21-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 AM

Thank you Kiffie!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 AM
KLO

Hi marand, I have also made a few McKenna Ryan quilts (At Home in the Woods, a deer, a wolf, and another wolf) with still some to do. I used Steam-a-Seam II Lite and it worked out very well. However, my friend has just used the so-called "new and improved" version and was not too happy with it. I think she said the pieces would not stay stuck to each other but I have not tried it yet. If the pieces are large, you can "window cut" them instead of having the fusible covering the whole piece of fabric. That method leaves the quilt a bit more pliable/soft. Of course if it is going to be a wall hanging, that does not matter. If you go to Ryan,s website, she tells you how she quilts them and what thread, needle, etc. she uses. It would not hurt to read that page. http://www.pineneedles.com/Company/help.asp

And as kiffie2413 mentioned, the scissors are very important. These are the ones I use:
http://www.joann.com/premier-no-5-mi...ssors/prd2879/

They are usually readily available so if you live near a JoAnn's, they should be easy to find. They are extremely sharp and seem to stay that way. I now own several pair.

FYI: When I am cutting into small areas of Ryan patterns, I found that by turning the fused fabric pattern instead of the scissors, the cut is so much more accurate and easier to manipulate. Just my opinion of course. I fuse a bunch of the patterns and then can take them with me to guild or sit in front of the TV and cut them out. I have not used a kit but picked out my own fabrics and was still pleased with the results. Good luck and have fun. The quilts/wall hangings turn out so beautifully especially if you are a nature nut like some of us.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Hi marand, I have few McKenna Ryan quilts (At Home in the Woods, a deer, a wolf, and another wolf) with still some to do. I used Steam-a-Seam II Lite and it worked out very well. However, my friend has just used the so-called "new and improved" version and was not too happy with it. I think she said the pieces would not stay stuck to each other but I have not tried it yet. If the pieces are large, you can "window cut" them instead of having the fusible covering the whole piece of fabric. That method leaves the quilt a bit more pliable/soft. Of course if it is going to be a wall hanging, that does not matter. If you go to Ryan,s website, she tells you how she quilts them and what thread, needle, etc. she uses. It would not hurt to read that page. http://www.pineneedles.com/Company/help.asp

And as kiffie2413 mentioned, the scissors are very important. These are the ones I use:
http://www.joann.com/premier-no-5-mi...ssors/prd2879/

They are usually readily available so if you live near a JoAnn's, they should be easy to find. They are extremely sharp and seem to stay that way. I now own several pair.

FYI: When I am cutting into small areas of Ryan patterns, I found that by turning the fused fabric pattern instead of the scissors, the cut is so much more accurate and easier to manipulate. Just my opinion of course. I fuse a bunch of the patterns and then can take them with me to guild or sit in front of the TV and cut them out. I have not used a kit but picked out my own fabrics and was still pleased with the results. Good luck and have fun. The quilts/wall hangings turn out so beautifully especially if you are a nature nut like some of us.
Great advice, KLO! I think we use the same scissors.. pardon my memory, but I think you're the one who told me about them..lol..

Marand,
You're welcome for the advice..that's what we're all here for..to help each other out. I also enjoy cutting out all the pieces..it's relaxing to me. Hubby and I can watch TV while I am at it.
Regards,
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 09-23-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 PM

I love needle turn applique'. But love the look of M.R.'s quilts. So I am about to start my first M.R. BOM. I hope I didn't dig myself a big expensive hole. But we don't learn if we don't try.