Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
McKenna Ryan pattern question >

McKenna Ryan pattern question

McKenna Ryan pattern question

Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

cost effective for her? they cost enough to have templates, period.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 PM

These are her early patterns in the paper bag and she has changed them as she grew as a designer. They cost about half of what her newer ones cost, and usually had less detail. I still own a whole bunch of these.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I feel a bit ripped off (not by the E-Bay seller), but I certainly expected that I could cut the items out without having to trace around them, especially with the images being overlapped. But it is what it is.
I should have also said that I did photocopy everything and then made individual templates. I also found that the pattern didn't match the picture exactly...there was more detail in the picture than on the pattern...
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 PM

For the cost of the patterns I would expect very good and clear I st ructions and strong templates.
Never seen her work before it. Is beautiful but not sure i would pay 100$ plus my post and a age to UK 20$ . Too ouch for me.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:11 AM

Take it to your local copy center! If they try to tell you it's copyright protected, tell them it is for personal use so you can cut it up and still have the instructions.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Take it to your local copy center! If they try to tell you it's copyright protected, tell them it is for personal use so you can cut it up and still have the instructions.
I did this once, and the pattern very clearly stated that photocopying for personal use was allowed. The employee still refused to copy it for me. He said if HE copied it, he'd be selling it, and it would no longer be "personal use". He said it was okay if I was the one who made the copy, however. Seriously??? Does it really matter who pushes the dad gum button on the machine?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I just received a used McKenna Ryan pattern I ordered off E-Bay -- Moose Crossing (1995). All that is in the envelope (which is a flat brown paper bag with colour photo on front) is one double-ledger sized piece of paper with the instructions on one side and a "life sized" placement guide on the other that is in reverse of the colour picture. Do you think this is the whole pattern? I had expected paper templates I could cut around and trace. Since the objects overlap each other, I have no idea how I'm supposed to make templates of these, especially since the instructions are on the back. Under "Steps for assembling" #3 states: "Cut out applique pieces and fuse into place, referring to placement guide and photo for placement." There's no mention of tracing the pattern. How can one cut out something that is layered over another object? Thanks.

Grab some tracing paper and start marking!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 AM

Do you have a printer that scans or know anyone who does? I do a lot of fusible appliqué and it's a pain having to trace in reverse (so I can iron it to the wrong side of the fabric). Even though I can use the insert in my Horn sewing cabinet as a lightbox - I like to 'see' as I go along.

DH watched me muttering one day and asked why I didn't just print off the scan reversed ...........who knew? Unbeknownst to me, and probably a lot of other people, there's a simple setting on the printer which allows you to either print normally or reverse the image for you!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:37 AM

This is true - on my copier, it has a feature called "mirror image". And my copier is an old and very rudimentary model. I believe most copiers have this feature, although now that I think about it, I'm not sure that it matters if any of McKenna's appliques are backwards or forwards. Meaning, does it really matter if the bird faces east or west?