Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
McKenna Ryan pattern question >

McKenna Ryan pattern question

McKenna Ryan pattern question

Old 09-08-2013, 03:50 PM

Default McKenna Ryan pattern question

I just received a used McKenna Ryan pattern I ordered off E-Bay -- Moose Crossing (1995). All that is in the envelope (which is a flat brown paper bag with colour photo on front) is one double-ledger sized piece of paper with the instructions on one side and a "life sized" placement guide on the other that is in reverse of the colour picture. Do you think this is the whole pattern? I had expected paper templates I could cut around and trace. Since the objects overlap each other, I have no idea how I'm supposed to make templates of these, especially since the instructions are on the back. Under "Steps for assembling" #3 states: "Cut out applique pieces and fuse into place, referring to placement guide and photo for placement." There's no mention of tracing the pattern. How can one cut out something that is layered over another object? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM

sounds like you should have had another sheet with the pattern and numbers on them. I would question the seller.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I have a few McKenna Ryan patterns, and they have individual templates. I don't have Moose Crossing. However, if you trace each piece in the pattern and then leave some space around it when you cut it out you should be okay. Like you, I would have expected to see individual templates in the pattern, but I have seen many patterns, particularly online, without the individual templates.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM

It sounds like the moon, moose & trees etc.might be all there . Look closely I would trace the patterns on to freezer paper...........if you have never appliqué before the Internet offers methods. Calla
Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Do the instructions specify if you're supposed to copy the placement guide and make your own templates? I've run into similar instructions. I was expecting a pattern and instead found directions for how to draft my own. I did not feel I got what I paid for.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 PM

I have the 1999 McKenna Ryan "Loon Creek" pattern, and it is as you describe. The instructions are on one side, and the other side is the placement guide. On the instruction side there is diagram indicating what size to cut the different "strips", and there is a "fusible web applique instructions" section that tells you to trace each shape separately...the dashes on the pattern is where they overlap... On the placement guide side is printed instructions...cut 5 tree tops...5 tree trunks...hope this isn't too confusing...it took me awhile to figure it out also!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Having the pattern this way is more cost effective for her - I now look to see if applique patterns offer full-size templates. As much as McKenna Ryan patterns cost you would think they would be included.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I have the 1999 McKenna Ryan "Loon Creek" pattern, and it is as you describe. The instructions are on one side, and the other side is the placement guide....
Thank you for the explanation. I feel a bit ripped off (not by the E-Bay seller), but I certainly expected that I could cut the items out without having to trace around them, especially with the images being overlapped. But it is what it is.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 AM

You could photocopy them. I'd rather photocopy than trace.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You could photocopy them. I'd rather photocopy than trace.

Good thinking!