Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McKenna Ryan patterns

Question McKenna Ryan patterns

I really want to make one of her quilts and will probably buy a kit so the fabric will be "right". Has anyone here made one of her patterns? If so, how difficult was it and did it turn out the way you expected? I am not really artistic so if that is required to get the project completed I will need to reconsider. Any help and all opinions will be appreciated. Barb

I have done 2 of her blocks. I think they are difficult since they have such little pieces like beaks of birds and chicken feet! But they are beautiful. If you are willing to take your time and don't mind teeny, weeny pieces, then go for it. Beware though that if you press the pieces while you are building the block, too many times, the fusible web will no longer stick. Ask me how I know, ha ha . I would love to have a smaller iron next time I tackle one of her blocks, so that I can control where it goes better than a big iron. And definitely have an applique pressing sheet. It makes building the block much easier. Good luck and show us what you do when your finished. Gina

Blog Entries
    I have done one of her small panels and found it really easy. I would go with a kit because her fabric choices are great and I would hate to try and find all the right fabrics, also she uses so many different fabrics, if you had to buy a FQ of all of them it would probably cost you more.
    I would use something like MonoPoly by Superior Threads to stitch the applique down, as it would be easier than changing your threads all the time. This is the one I made, I had only been quilting for around 2 years when I did it.
    Name:  Espresso resized.jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  173.0 KB
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

I've done a few of her patterns, and I do enjoy them. They do have lots of tiny pieces, and are time/labor heavy. But SO worth the results!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Her patterns are pretty detailed so I think you would be fine - going with a kit is a good thing in my opinion - her fabric choices are what makes her quilts work!

Blog Entries
    I've done lots of her patterns over the years- I love her designs. she makes them fairly easy to understand. that last baby quilt I did was one of hers- I've done lots of her outdoorsy fish, bears, I've never seen one not turn out beautiful. here's the McKenna Ryan 'Giraffic Park' quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I'm glad to see this thread....I signed up for the Wind in the Whiskers BOM and haven't started yet. I've received 3 blocks so far...I think I need someone to come visit and work on this with me!!!

Forgot to mention I am getting the full kit for each block so I know it'll all look good in the end...I'm just terrified to start.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

I was just at her showroom on Friday at Bainbridge Island, WA. She is closing it in a few months.and is in the process of moving to Portland. The person in the store was not sure if she would re open there. Everything will still be available on line. It was great to see her original work. I did buy patterns, but not much material, as I have so many batiks that would work. I just could not justify the kit when I have so much on hand.

Blog Entries
    so glad to see this thread too. I really like her patterns but couldn't figure out how it would work.

Red face Funny thing

I'm glad to see this thread....I signed up for the Wind in the Whiskers BOM and haven't

This is the one I want to make. Too bad we can't work together.
    Barb

I am doing her Heaven and Nature Sing as a BOM and the pieces are fusible backed & laser cut. There is little tags left to cut holding the piece in the fabric.

I am working on her older owl patterns, they take time but are not what I call hard . A mini iron and an applique pressing sheet is a must for me . I do not care for pastels so I am using my own color choices in batiks and I am happy with the results.

Hi all, I have made hundreds of McKenna's quilts. I have a license to make and market her quilts. The fabrics she choices are perfect! So, if you can get a kit it is well worth the price. Yes, there is a lot of cutting and fusing, but well worth the effort. Take your time, enjoy the process and get a thrill out of watching your quilt come together. Peggy

Blog Entries
    I did "At Home in the Woods". Love, love, love it! If I can do this, I know anyone can. Good directions and great fabric.

Name:  At Home in Woods.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  52.9 KB

How do you machine stitch around all those tiny pieces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chaskaquilter View Post
    How do you machine stitch around all those tiny pieces.
    This is a great question. FMQ around each piece BEFORE you put the blocks together. I say this because I DID NOT do this and wish I had. I did the stitching before I put the two large pieces together. I also used monofilament thread. All of these pieces had to be stitched down before my longarm lady would quilt the quilt. My quilt is hanging over the stairs at the landing out of the direct sun light.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
    I'm glad to see this thread....I signed up for the Wind in the Whiskers BOM and haven't started yet. I've received 3 blocks so far...I think I need someone to come visit and work on this with me!!!

Forgot to mention I am getting the full kit for each block so I know it'll all look good in the end...I'm just terrified to start.
    I have done several of her patterns and have really enjoyed doing them. I just finished this quilt (Wind in the Whiskers) for my LQS. I was thrilled to do it for the shop because I didn't have to purchase the patterns and all that fabric. I did most of the quilting with the clear thread (light an dark). If a piece wouldn't stick, I just retacked it down with a glue stick. The best advice I can give you is to take your time. I made a copy of the list with what pieces are used with what fabric so that I could check it off to make sure that I had all the pieces. Also read the instructions before cutting because if you're making the whole quilt, some of the pieces (leaves and branches) are not used but have alternate pieces in block 4. If you have any questions you can pm me
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

I've never heard of her and I know why. I would probably never look at anything of hers because of the size of the pieces. But, gosh, you guys have shown me the way. These are beautiful, whimsical and just too cute. Now I'll have to check her out.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Power Poster
    Love your quilt. I have yet to use any of McKenna Ryan patterns or kits, but some day I hope to.

Come visit and we can finish the one I started his spring!!

Blog Entries
    All very good advice and instructions. Just to be clear...(, I waited until I had all my blocks (I actually waited 3 years) before I did the "At Home in the Woods" quilt. Another suggestion if there are pieces that go over a seam from one block to another, I used batting under each side when I pressed the blocks so that the seam did not show through the merged piece. (Hope that makes sense.) I love my quilt. It gives me joy and pleasure every time I look at it. I even used a real "fly" on the end of the fisherman's line. My niece makes her own "flies" for fly fishing and she gave me one of hers. I love it and I know that you will love and treasure your quilt as long as you live! Can't wait to see the finished blocks. Please share with us. Yolanda Wood River

Blog Entries
    is it possible to use the needleturnappliqué technique with those quilts or is it better to fuse (never did this) and I really like those patterns. I'll have to try them one day

littlebitofheaven-I love your McKenna Ryan quilt that you made You did an awesome job!
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
    Love your quilt. I have yet to use any of McKenna Ryan patterns or kits, but some day I hope to.
    I have made a lot of her quilts, some as bed quilts. My solution was to enlarge the patterns and then satin stich them down. They then go through the washer and dryer. Use a piece of parchment paper instead of the expensive sheet, it5 works just as well. I have taught some classes where the students use the patterns as provided with extra webbing, fuse to the background then stretch over artists' canvas and staple down ready to hang. They were a big success.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Debbie
    Machine It

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annelu View Post
    is it possible to use the needleturnappliqué technique with those quilts or is it better to fuse (never did this) and I really like those patterns. I'll have to try them one day
    If you enlarge them and use some of the simpler ones it is doable.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast