Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
McKenna Ryan patterns >

McKenna Ryan patterns

McKenna Ryan patterns

Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 PM

I am doing her Heaven and Nature Sing as a BOM and the pieces are fusible backed & laser cut. There is little tags left to cut holding the piece in the fabric.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM

I am working on her older owl patterns, they take time but are not what I call hard . A mini iron and an applique pressing sheet is a must for me . I do not care for pastels so I am using my own color choices in batiks and I am happy with the results.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Hi all, I have made hundreds of McKenna's quilts. I have a license to make and market her quilts. The fabrics she choices are perfect! So, if you can get a kit it is well worth the price. Yes, there is a lot of cutting and fusing, but well worth the effort. Take your time, enjoy the process and get a thrill out of watching your quilt come together. Peggy
Old 08-13-2013, 04:13 AM

I did "At Home in the Woods". Love, love, love it! If I can do this, I know anyone can. Good directions and great fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]430004[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails home-woods.jpg  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 AM

How do you machine stitch around all those tiny pieces.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by chaskaquilter View Post
How do you machine stitch around all those tiny pieces.
This is a great question. FMQ around each piece BEFORE you put the blocks together. I say this because I DID NOT do this and wish I had. I did the stitching before I put the two large pieces together. I also used monofilament thread. All of these pieces had to be stitched down before my longarm lady would quilt the quilt. My quilt is hanging over the stairs at the landing out of the direct sun light.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
I'm glad to see this thread....I signed up for the Wind in the Whiskers BOM and haven't started yet. I've received 3 blocks so far...I think I need someone to come visit and work on this with me!!!

Forgot to mention I am getting the full kit for each block so I know it'll all look good in the end...I'm just terrified to start.
I have done several of her patterns and have really enjoyed doing them. I just finished this quilt (Wind in the Whiskers) for my LQS. I was thrilled to do it for the shop because I didn't have to purchase the patterns and all that fabric. I did most of the quilting with the clear thread (light an dark). If a piece wouldn't stick, I just retacked it down with a glue stick. The best advice I can give you is to take your time. I made a copy of the list with what pieces are used with what fabric so that I could check it off to make sure that I had all the pieces. Also read the instructions before cutting because if you're making the whole quilt, some of the pieces (leaves and branches) are not used but have alternate pieces in block 4. If you have any questions you can pm me
Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 AM

I've never heard of her and I know why. I would probably never look at anything of hers because of the size of the pieces. But, gosh, you guys have shown me the way. These are beautiful, whimsical and just too cute. Now I'll have to check her out.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Love your quilt. I have yet to use any of McKenna Ryan patterns or kits, but some day I hope to.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Come visit and we can finish the one I started his spring!!