Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: meandering FMQ pattern

I just started FMQ last spring. I have great fun with it. I just concentrate on one block at a time and have fun with it. If your machine has a setting so that it always stops with the needle down in the fabric, use that. Then if you stop, the fabric won't move on you. That causes the little "jogs" in the stitching. You also have to discover what speed works for you. I was trying to go too slowly at first and got BIG stitches. It seems the faster the machine goes, the smaller and more consistent the stitch length is. Most of all, just do it....and enjoy!

I still hand quilt but have bought the foot and various gadgets to use with my machine for FMQ. I also found a "stippling" stencil at the quilt store. As a beginner you could make the first rows using the stencil marks and then take off from there. I am working on a baby quilt now and am planning on giving this a whirl. I will keep you posted.

Go to http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

Lots of tutorials and pictures -- and the superslider and bobbin things that help... great beginner and harder ideas. Put together a charity quilt and practice....

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    The best piece of advice I got when I started FMQ was to focus on just one area at a time and not get overwhelmed by the entire project. The quilting gloves also help me maintain control of the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Rymer
    thanks ladies!! I got my quilting foot tonight and I made an attempt....do you have any idea why this is happening? here is a picture of the front and back. any clue? I have a Brother XR52, so I don't lower the feed dogs, I have a plate that covers them.
    I have seen this! Not sure the cause, I have taken the machine to the repair shop and there it works so I figure it's operator error. At least the messy thread comes out easily! The machine sounds strange when it starts the mess so I can catch it before I have the quilt complete! I learned this after re quilting a baby quilt. This took a while to learn!
    Be sure that you hold both bobbin and needle thread before you start the machine. Usually when I re thread the needle and bobbin it then works ok. Good luck

There is backing fabric, and I have a little, that has the stippling quilt pattern on it.
    Good for a first timer. There is also a special foot.

You've made me feel I could do this. Hardly rambling.

Blog Entries
    Practice is the key. An inexpensive way to do that is to double over some substantial paper towel and practice on that on your machine. You will only have used some thread instead of good fabric. You also save time not having to make the sandwiches.

This is a trick I learned in sewing class in Jr. High School for regular sewing lessons and it will work here also. WOW! Now that I think of it I learned it back in 1952! Guess I am getting older. LOL

Blog Entries
    I have that machine also. You didn't catch the bobbin thread where it should be I think. That happened to me a while back and that was the solution.

Hi All
    is there a process to it? anyone have any pointers? do you even know what I'm talking about?? LOL.....any help is appreciated.
    Doodle on paper, or better yet a white board. This really does help, I do it when I want to do a new patten. Once I am satisfied with what is on paper I go to my machine.

I have been taught to make a sandwich using cheap muslin and the batting I most use and then practice on those pieces. There is something about the eye-hand coordination and practice that makes it work.
    Unfortunately, the key is practice, practice, practice.....and then.....it clicks and you never forget it...like riding a bicycle.. :D

I would mark off my quilt in sections, (at least fourths, sometime more) with blue painters tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen's Kreations
    The best piece of advice I got when I started FMQ was to focus on just one area at a time and not get overwhelmed by the entire project. The quilting gloves also help me maintain control of the fabric.

been there and had that happen. It could be the pressure foot was not put down, or the tension of the upper and lower threads are off. keep practicing with samples and it will happen. the good thing is that is easy to undo with it so loopy. Good luck.

Another trick I leaned in a class was to get a large pattern fabric and quilt around the motifs. I have also quilted from the back using the backing fabric as my motif.

Blog Entries
    meandering if fun once you master it.
    1. lower feed dogs as it's all free motion
    2. Thread machine with good thread
    3. Get a beat going, I use music
    4. Their are patterns that you can purchases to practices with
    5. If I want it really good, I use wash-a-way that I have marked with a pen, then follow the lines.
    Once you have done it several times using the patterns, you have master it. Then it's just fun.
    Also, keep the machine running at the same speed and let the phone ring till you get an area finished. I seems to move differently each day, so I try to finishes a block or area before leaving for the day.

thanks ladies!! I got my quilting foot tonight and I made an attempt....do you have any idea why this is happening? here is a picture of the front and back. any clue? I have a Brother XR52, so I don't lower the feed dogs, I have a plate that covers them.
    Your tension is all wrong. It is too loose.

This may be off the subject of the loose thread on the backing....seems that is covered. Some hints I learned from and still use are to make a small sandwich using the scraps from the quilt you are preparing to quilt....test your stitching on this small practice piece. It is the very same weight and color of your quilt. You can see how the thread and stitches look on the actual fabrics. I learned this tip from one of by machine quilting books...don't remember which author....she recommends this and she uses this sample piece to "warm up" on before quilting on the actual quilt each time she sits down to quilt on the quilt--she quilts large quilts.

As mentioned before....practice is the most important. Learn to relax and take a breath. Find the machine speed that works for you. It is usually a medium speed with medium movement of the the quilt. I think first time machine quilters think they have to go really fast and they get really tense. Also, a good way to learn to free motion and get control of the machine is to get a child's panel and sandwich it for a quilt then free motion around designs in the panel. You can stipple and do different background stitching....a great practice source. You can then donate your quilt to one of the children's charity quilt groups.

I have had the same problem if my presser foot is not in the down position. i have a small longarm (GrandQuilter ) so I have notes hanging from the frame to remind me to PUT THE FOOT DOWN! It will ne make it tight as I have a plate covering feed dogs too. Hope this helps

This site has many videos to help you get started fmq. Check it out here ...

http://my.allpeoplequilt.com/bettertv/?bclid=715980676

Just use the slider bar on the right to see the videos available and choose one to start it.

p.s. There is a tension tutorial there to help you with that part too.

Try hand quilting.

Take a look at this site: www.patsythompsondesigns.com
    she has some awesome DVD's out and the Fast and Fun 0.5 DVD is one that starts with the basics and is so very informative. She is a wonderful FMQ instructor and easy to listen to. She offers free FMQ patterns on her site and also you can watch some 7-8 minute clips from her DVD's.

I second Rachelcb80's suggestion of leaving the feed dogs up until you get comfortable with FMQ. Think of it as training wheels. It helps things go a little slower and smoother until you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dlf0122quilting
    Take a look at this site: www.patsythompsondesigns.com
    she has some awesome DVD's out and the Fast and Fun 0.5 DVD is one that starts with the basics and is so very informative. She is a wonderful FMQ instructor and easy to listen to. She offers free FMQ patterns on her site and also you can watch some 7-8 minute clips from her DVD's.
    Really nice site. Thanks for posting!

Just keep practicing, pretty soon you and your machine will become one. I remember the first time I practiced I used those paper stipples over sandwitched practice pieces and I hated them so bad. So I was determined to do it on my own. I practiced alot and finally I felt really comfortable with it. Good luck to you. Dont give up practice practice practice.

What a pity! The right side was looking so good! The learning stages for FMQ are full of these unpleasant surprises, but they do decrease as you have more practice.

What you have here does look like a threading problem, but tension is also very important in FMQ. The top tension should be lower than usual. The bobbin tension in my two machines (a Bernina Aurora and a Pfaff Grand Quilter) is more complicated. I check that, when I hold the thread coming from the bobbin and gently shake it, the bobbin moves only a little.

I wish that I had been able to read this site as I was learning FMQ - I've seldom felt such a dunce in my life, so uncoordinated and it would have been reassuring to know that others struggle too. Some lucky people learn almost instantly, but the rest of us just have to hang in there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast