Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: meandering FMQ pattern

The Silcone thing is:

Free-Motion
    Supreme Slider
    LaPierre Studio LLC
    Formerly known as Free-Motion Slider look on ebay or google for the best price. good luck!

I am just learning this FMQ thing. It is sure not as easy as it looks in those video's. What it reminds me of is learning to drive a car. I remember my first few driving lessons and think that OMG, how do so many people learn to do this? Then eventually it just clicks and you wonder why you ever thought it was so hard.

Well, I am still on my learners permit with FMQ, but I am getting better.

My only words of advice is to relax. I am finding that when I start really concentrating on it, I tense up, I get hunched over and am actually fighting the fabric and the machine. If I sit up straight and think about relaxing and just flowing along it looks so much better. My sister keeps telling me I can do it. If so and so can do it, you can. She also said something funny last night. I told her I was having trouble getting this meandering thing down. She said " Of course you are. You are not a meanderer, you are way too goal oriented." Which is so true. But I will get it, I will, I will I will.

Blog Entries
    Rethread your machine, you've missed a step in your threading. Good thing about that is it is easy to take out.

For meandering, you just do puzzle like shapes,or squiggles, basically any shapes you want. You want to keep the a equal distance apart, and just relax, not going too fast around the curves. Also when you start you need to pull your bottom thread up from the bottom, so you don't get birds nests.

Here is a good sight to learn about machine quilting http://www.daystyledesighns.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rymer
    thanks ladies!! I got my quilting foot tonight and I made an attempt....do you have any idea why this is happening? here is a picture of the front and back. any clue? I have a Brother XR52, so I don't lower the feed dogs, I have a plate that covers them.
    You may not have the top threaded right. I have had this happen when the top thread wasn't threaded through the take-up lever - the part that goes up and down at the top of the machine. On my longarm, it happens when the hopping foot is left in the up position. It's easy to take out the stitching. But, it's a waste of thread-all those tangles. So annoying.
    Cynthia

Blog Entries
    Correction to the address i gave before http://daystyledesigns.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rymer
    thanks ladies!! I got my quilting foot tonight and I made an attempt....do you have any idea why this is happening? here is a picture of the front and back. any clue? I have a Brother XR52, so I don't lower the feed dogs, I have a plate that covers them.

When I get this, it's because I didn't flip the button on the presser foot. I have the Pfaff 2.0 and it has a little lever/button on the presser foot that you have to engage when you put the foot down. Good luck, I'm still struggling with FMQ too, but keep on sewing! I figure eventually, I'll get "mediocre"!

Carrie

If you local quilt shop sells long-arm or mid-arm quilting machines, you can often rent time on them. They make sewing the meandering style much easier. Some quilt shops will want you to take a short class on using their machine before they will let you rent time on it.

A long time ago, I learned about the Project Triangle. It states that in any project you can only have two out of these three: Fast, Cheap or, Good.

The quilting is so much faster and easier on these machines that the cost of renting the time on one seems to be a good value. Yes, I guess I am trading in some Cheap for some Fast. I also get more Good. The Long-arm and Mid-arm machines give me better results than my home sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    I did all that yesterday, LOL my bird nest was was so tight under the needle i hardly got it out of machine

One of the best investments I ever made was Harriet Hargrave's "Heirloom Machine Quilting" book........it took the fear right out of FMQ and she covers everything in such detail that it has become my quilting bible. Of course, you have be dedicated to practice, practice, practice. :D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4