Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
measurely challenged >

measurely challenged

measurely challenged

Old 11-17-2010, 05:36 AM

Have a good sharp blade and don't use too much pressure. There are days when I press so hard the fabric shifts.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:54 AM

I too had this problem when first starting out, I got some invisagrip and it helped, but what helps me the most is the June Taylor shape cutter. I am on my way to getting one that has a 1/4" slot also. I love these and it makes it so easy to cut and stay straight.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 AM

All suggestions are great and just what I would have told you. Also, the plastic rulers do wear down and then you have a slight moon shape. This may happen because of too much pressure on the ruler. I don't know. But be sure your ruler is very straight. Check it against your ruled cutting board. Also, I was told you "square up" my fabric after several cuts. Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I find that my ruler tends to slip when I don't have good leverage. Standing over the ruler works best for me. I also do not try to do a full range cut in one motion. Instead, I firmly hold the lower half of the ruler and cut about half way, then I walk my fingers up to hold the upper half and cut the upper half. For really long cuts, I even distribute the weight into thirds.
Very good point. I do the same.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 AM

I have the same trouble, I have the sandpaper sticker dots they do not cost at lot, i have also bought some rubber dots at the quilt store, they help. I also bought a handle that you can buy at walmart etc, that you can put near on above your bath tub. It looks like a handle about 12' long with rubber grippers at each end, you move a little lever on each end of the handle and than lay it on your ruler, move the little levers and and it will stick to the ruler. They cost about $10. You can also buy them at your quilt store but they will cost twice that much. They do have small one that are great for using on your small rulers at the quilts stores. At walmart they will be in the bath room department.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM

After the post a few days ago about the June Taylor ruler I got mine out ( got it 4 yrs ago but only been quilting since summer....so not too bad ). I am having a blast cutting squares and strips.It is the way to cut and will always use it now whenever possible.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM

JoAnn,

Have you tried using a suction cup handle? I got some from Harbor Freight that they use to hold and pick up panes of glass. I find that the handle helps the ruler to stay planted. Also it saves your fingers from getting sliced.

Marie
Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
When using a rotary cutter, for some reason I still cant get my cuts straight. seems like the fabric stretches or my cutter goes astray. But my lines are not square! Im getting pretty frustrated. Any advice? JoAnn
The best thing I've found is a bathtub safety suction handle from Harbor Freight for the big rulers and a mini-clamp for smaller rulers.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM

Just bought on Joanns, stedy betty strips, for $1.79. It only takes 1/4 inch cut at each corner of ruler, but works wonderful. Thats for the loose rulers. The rest of the time I use my Alto quilt cutter 2. it has a bar that locks the fabric down and the ruler attaches on the bar that keeps it steady as long as you hold it down. Love it.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 PM

I use the sandpaper dots on my rulers, but have heard recently that the ruler grippers are great.