Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Memory Craft 6600 1/4 inch foot.

Memory Craft 6600 1/4 inch foot.

I purchased this machine last August. When I use the 1/4 inch foot with it my blocks come out 1/8" short every time. I moved the needle over and I get the 1/4' seam. It is not a problem to move the needle over, but I am afraid I will forget and have a problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if I got a bad foot.

Blog Entries
    I'd return it and try another one just to be sure. Good luck.
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Blog Entries
    My first Civil War BOM class all of my 6 1/2 in blocks came out to small. I talked to my teacher and she told me about using Aurofil thread. It's only 2ply thread and I couldn't believe the difference that it made. My blocks are now accurate and I love the thread.
    Judy

I have the same issue with my memory craft 6600. I don't really know why?
    CAROL

To maintain a 1/4" seam on my 6600, I move my needle to the 6.0 spot. To determine this, I drew a 1/4" line from the edge of a piece of paper, I then put it up to the guide on the foot and moved the needle until it was just inside the line. Try that with your machines. then put a post a note on your machine with the number you come up with so that you don't forget.
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.

I have the same problem with my Janome 6600. Got another 1/4 inch foot. Same thing so I do as you do it, move the needle.

I think if the foot was narrow enough that the edge was only a quarter of an inch away from the needle it probably wouldn't cover the right feed dog properly.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonTheriault View Post
    To maintain a 1/4" seam on my 6600, I move my needle to the 6.0 spot. To determine this, I drew a 1/4" line from the edge of a piece of paper, I then put it up to the guide on the foot and moved the needle until it was just inside the line. Try that with your machines. then put a post a note on your machine with the number you come up with so that you don't forget.
    Exactly!! Are you me in disguise?
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

With the 6600 ... you can change the default setting for whatever you wish for the needle position and stitch length.

That's what I did, so I wouldn't forget to move it to the correct position for the 1/4" foot to be 1/4".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have the 7700 and use 6.0 needle position with the 1/4 acu-feed foot. I don't mind moving the needle over. Depending on each foot and project, you seem to need to move it all the time. I also use that foot for 1/2 inch seams(for binding), setting needle position at 1.0.
    Donna

I move the needle on my Bernina too. It's second nature now - turn on machine, move needle over, press needle down button. The only time I don't do it is for paper piecing.

Blog Entries
    I have a Janome 6500. To make sure I have a proper 1/4" seam. I used one of my rulers and green/blue painters tape (masking). Put the needle down, slide ruler under the foot against the needle, put foot back down. Then put the tape down right next to the ruler. This will be the stitching line. Pull out the ruler, now draw a 1/4" line on the tape. Plus I double check that this line lines up with the little dashes on the on the bobbin plastic plate (but do not put it on the plate). The reason I do it this way and not put the tape as my 1/4" seam area, is 1) it is easier to see the black line, 2) it also doubles when I have to sew HST (I do not have to draw line on each piece) I just line up the point of the HST and sew.

Another thing that I did was just tweaked (bent ever so slightly) the guard on my 1/4 foot. Plus when sewing, my fabric just feather touches the guard, not hard against it.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

1/4" Foot

I've had my 6600 for several years now. I always test my 1/4" seam on every change of a foot. An index card with lines have exactly 1/4" spaces. I carefully cut off the bottom line as it is shorter, turn the card over to the blank side and sew a seam. If I stayed on the line it is an exact 1/4". If I want a scant 1/4" the card helps to check it out also. I set of 100 cards is less than $1.00 at my local drugstore in the school supply section.

I moved the needle over and I get the 1/4' seam.
    Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if I got a bad foot.
    GGinMcKinney

I have a Janome with a 1/4 inch foot, and I come out with exactly a 1/4 inch seam. Problem is, most patterns now call for a scant 1/4 inch seam, especially if you're doing complicated blocks and stars. If you don't use the scant 1/4", your block will be too small. As far as I know, no one has come up with a "scant 1/4" foot". That means it's back to fiddling with the machine to find a way to feed the fabric into the machine so you come up with the size seam you need. Oh, hum. I was doing that over 30 years ago! I guess we can thank the rotary cutter, or so I've heard, as due to their precision, we have no "give" in the size of the cut. Or something like that.
    MacThayer