Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mending a Hole Made From Seam Ripping >

Mending a Hole Made From Seam Ripping

Mending a Hole Made From Seam Ripping

Old 05-02-2019, 12:01 AM

I have used steam a seam before. It does work. I also quilt carefully over the area. Glad you repaired it and are happy with results.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:21 AM

One time I was preparing a quilt for quilting on the longarm. I discovered a block that didn't get sewn into the seam. I knew it would be a problem quilting it, so I simply ironed a piece of fusible interfacing over the gap on the backside.... problem solved.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-02-2019 at 03:39 AM. Reason: PM
Old 05-02-2019, 04:13 AM

I've used steam a seam and a product called Bonash when my quilt machine stopped with the needle down but my robotics kept going. Luckily I was right there when it happened so I could stop the robotics before it ripped clear across my quilt. This happened a couple times until I was able to convince the machine company there was a problem with their machine. The Bonash uses heat to bind the product they have to sprinkle over the hole. Think they also ask you to add a piece of the fabric under the hole too. I had to do this to both sides but it worked. It was my mother's quilt this happened to and its been 7 years now and the area has never come apart. Otherwise a suggestion would be to add an applique over the hole to hide it on both sides if necessary.

As to ripping a hole with your ripper, I find pulling out the seam from one side or the other and not down the middle my best bet. I also ripped a hole when I went down the middle of the seam. True, its faster and easier but I like safer for me as my hands tend to tremble at times so I go for safer in my case.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:49 PM

When I repaired an very old quilt, and didn't want to add anything, but to keep it as good as
it was. I just opened up the worn out pieces, tucked in a piece of voile (tiny lace, like they
use in crinolines) with a piece of steam a seam attached, removed the paper from the steam a seam
and lightly stitch
over the edges. The voile (lace) will keep it all intact and not take away the integrity of the
quilt. Great to hear your repair worked out.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:46 AM

This will sound scary, but I have found using a rotary cutter instead of a seam ripper works much better. It only cuts the thread between the two fabrics. It never rips fabric. I separate the two fabrics with one hand and put the rotary cutter between them, and it only cuts the thread. I have used whatever rotary cutter is closest, but I prefer the smaller one.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:38 AM

Thanks for tip. Great idea.