Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Metalic Thread  HELP!!! >

Metalic Thread HELP!!!

Metalic Thread HELP!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 PM

This works for me, plus use a bobbin thread, or regular thread in the bobbin.
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
There is a special needle made for metallic thread. The eye and scarf are designed to help keep the thread from shreading. They are easy to find at the big box fabric stores.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:07 AM

There is also a silicone product, called Sewers Ease or a similar name, that you can apply sparingly to the spool. I use just a thin line down the length of the spool. This will need to be done several times as you sew as the thread with this coating gets used. Also loosen the tension, which sometimes needs to be A LOT looser. A thin thread in the bobbin is also helpful.

Good luck

Laurie
Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 PM

Oh oh oh! I am kind of skimming here so not sure what metallic thread you are using but I just recently posted about a project where I used for the first time myself! I bought Gutermann's metallic thread a few weeks ago when it was half off at Jo Ann's...I used a size 12 Schmetz metallica needle and 40 wt. cotton in a similar color in the bobbin. It worked REALLY well - I only had one break, and it was at the beginning of the spool so I kind of wondered if that part of the thread was weak...after that no issues. I did test it on a little test sandwich first to get the tension right, but that's all. Good luck!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:25 PM

I have about 6 brands of metallic thread of 2 different types. One type is twisted metallic thread and all the brands work fine. The other type looks like a very thin, narrow version of the metallic stuff we used to buy and put on our Christmas trees and called it icicles. None of the brands work well in that type of metallic thread. Big eye metallic needle, looser tension, slower stitching speed and lots of patience. Sometimes I just use the right color in regular embroidery thread and then by hand stitch the metallic thread on top for a shimmering effect - or sew on beads.
That one type of metallic thread and my machine just don't dance well together.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM

The Metallic needle is really important...the eye of the needle is teflon coated to help with the friction of a metallic needle and metallic thread so it doesn't get to hot and break the thread. Sewing slower can help too, as can having the thread vertical, not on a horizontal spool pin.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Don't know if I'm just lucky, but I've never had any problems with metallics. I do however use a Topstitch or Metallic needle and a cotton in the bobbin and sew slowly.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM

After trying a few different brands, I have kept to using Yenmet. I am very happy with it for embroidery and quilting! I use just a regular 80 needle and a regular poly or cotton 40 weight sewing thread in the bobbin. I prefer to use a separate thread stand set up some distance away from the needle. It lets the thread have time to relax a bit.

Pam
Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 AM

I've found Yenmet works, too. I watched a Bernina 820 using it with OESD Xmas ornaments at top speed for 20 minutes with no breakage. So I bought it.

I have one advantage with the Pfaff 2170. I can use the foot pedal with small difficult spots in embroidery mode. Sewing extremely slow and an upright spool with a mesh cover (if needed) avoids the breakage.