Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
metallic fabric >

metallic fabric

metallic fabric

Old 01-15-2019, 07:23 PM

I made a quilt last year where I used a gold lame fabric as the accent. I was hesitant, because it is such a fussy fabric, and it isn't particularly soft to the touch. Because it was so flimsy, I attached it to fusible interfacing, which was challenging because I had to use a lower temp on the delicate fabric to keep it from scorching and wrinkling. However, t added just the right something special to make the quilt sparkle.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:57 PM

The quilt on machine #2 is from a Northcutt layer cake with gold metallic accents. I wish it were silver for the person it's going to, but I like the soft shimmer.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:05 AM

I'm not a big fan of metallic fabrics unless it's a Christmas print. However I did order a piece (price was right) in browns and golds from a Facebook site and when it came it was metallic....now I have to think what to do with it. Will probably try for a table runner or table mat.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:04 AM

I'm definitely in the yes camp to use metallics, glitters, and shiney fabrics for quilts.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I don't like metallics at all. I also don't like those fabrics that are layered. I don't know what it's called but there will be portions that feel "rubbery". I'm sure there is a name for it.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 01-16-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:38 AM

I am working on a quilt right now with gold and silver metallics (quilting cotton with woven metallic threads) black background. I think I will love it, a dramatic look. I planned it to be a ‘special’ quilt, not one for everyday use. I figure the fabrics won’t wear as sturdy as regular quilting cotton. I say if you love the fabric,use it!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:12 AM

I'm using it right now in a collage wall hanging. It gives just the right lift to the background, I think.

Would I use it in a traditional Log Cabin...likely not.

Every fabric has a place, IMO.

Watson
Old 01-16-2019, 12:47 PM

I was told by the local hospital and some charities that they cannot accept quilts with metallic threads or fabric in them. No zippers either. They can somehow mess up machines? Anyway...they wouldn't accept them.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM

My DD fell in love with the peacock fabric that is metallic and wanted a quilt from it. I told her every time it is washed she would loose some of the gold but she wanted it anyway. It was her Christmas gift and she loves it I just hope it stays pretty for a long time. I usually use it for wall hangings.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM

I use some metallics in my asian fabric quilts