Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are methods allowed to be shared? >

Are methods allowed to be shared?

Are methods allowed to be shared?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I would share but that's just me.
Me too!Where would we be if our foremothers didn't share their techniques and patterns with us?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Technique falls under patent law, not copyright, and it has to be new, unique, involve an inventive step, and have industrial applications. Patents last only 20 years and are not renewable. Copyright only covers the written/photographed/taped description of a technique, not the technique itself.

I strongly doubt that fractured quilts qualify for a patent so I'd say, if you use your own words, you're safe to share it if asked...not sure I'd want to start giving classes, however...but that's just my 'educated' opinion.

Last edited by ghostrider; 01-05-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

there are many ways of doing the "fractured" art quilts.
Ricky Tims did a version with his Conversion quilt!
Methods are Patented, or trademarked. Like the cotton theory, which is nothing more than French seams...

There are NEW strict laws to prevent videos being made and posted of "techniques" and even patterns. As in do NOT try to video how to make a Dear Jane block! OY....and there are more coming on board the NO video train everyday!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
there are many ways of doing the "fractured" art quilts.
Ricky Tims did a version with his Conversion quilt!
Methods are Patented, or trademarked. Like the cotton theory, which is nothing more than French seams...

There are NEW strict laws to prevent videos being made and posted of "techniques" and even patterns. As in do NOT try to video how to make a Dear Jane block! OY....and there are more coming on board the NO video train everyday!
Really? Dear Jane? How could anyone claim a copyright on that?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Well here's a question: I've been asked to show my guild how to make a 10-minute block. I intend to actually make a block as I explain it. I have ordered the book to show them and of course, it's on YouTube. Do I need the author's permission to make and explain a block that she puts on YouTube? I wasn't planning to use any of her book for handouts.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
Well here's a question: I've been asked to show my guild how to make a 10-minute block. I intend to actually make a block as I explain it. I have ordered the book to show them and of course, it's on YouTube. Do I need the author's permission to make and explain a block that she puts on YouTube? I wasn't planning to use any of her book for handouts.
if you are not able to explain the process in your own words, without relying on the book, then you should not teach the class without first getting permission from the author. the same applies to the YouTube video - especially if it was posted by the author or publisher of the book in question.

my recommendation in this specific case is based on the fact that you would be "teaching the book/video" or "teaching from the book/video". you would be relying upon specific, copyright protected materials and, therefore, interfering with their creator(s)' ability to benefit from those protected work(s).
Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Copyright applies to actual written words. You cannot copy and distribute someone else's text or words. If you can share a concept in your own words, I don't see a problem with it. I am, however, not an attorney...
sounds good to me... When assigning a paper to be written, no copyright law is broken if the writers paraphrase the concept of the text in their own words. Wouldn't this be the same thing? About the LQS class, I might suggest it as a purchase but not sure it is required.... Again I am no lawyer
Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
if you are not able to explain the process in your own words, without relying on the book, then you should not teach the class without first getting permission from the author. the same applies to the YouTube video - especially if it was posted by the author or publisher of the book in question.

my recommendation in this specific case is based on the fact that you would be "teaching the book/video" or "teaching from the book/video". you would be relying upon specific, copyright protected materials and, therefore, interfering with their creator(s)' ability to benefit from those protected work(s).
I think that is why LQS's often create their own blocks or use public domain blocks so as no to infringe on the copyright laws.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:56 AM

Students must purchase the book or pattern being used in a class..
Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Really? Dear Jane? How could anyone claim a copyright on that?
I believe that intellectual property should be protected but it amazes me how a person can put their name and copyright to a whole quilt method of quilting that has been used in Durham, England for over 300 years. I don't make the copyright rules but surely the method should be unique before that can be applied?
Stealing someone else's idea and touting it as your own is not correct morally and one should not be able to profit from that practice. Therefore, I believe the ethical procedure would be to have the books ready for purchase as a pre - requisite for the course.