Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are methods allowed to be shared? >
  • Are methods allowed to be shared?

• Are methods allowed to be shared?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I've seen so many quilters in this forum share how to do blocks or quilts that have patterns out there for sale. always made me wonder.....
    And so many of the patterns are easily sketched and copied. Copyright or not, I'm not paying $10 for a simple pattern I can copy.
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by lillybeck
    I think you can share this info only if you state the source that you got it from. I know in school we had to have a resource when we used something someone else had written.
    I have been quilting for so long, have watched so many videos and read so many books, that all of that information has turned from ingredients into a wonderful casserole of ideas. I really could not tell you, with precious few exceptions, where I first learned of one of them. I teach them all with my own handouts written in my own words. And I know my students then go on to teach their friends, too.
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Holice, Betty Cotton also has a patent on her french seam method used in Cotton Theory (which I believe is a trademarked term). Just FYI.
    HER french seam? @@

Again, there could easily be a 100 women using the same method and never having seen HER method.
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM

I see nothing at all wrong with sharing through private messages and e-mails. I wouldn't post the written thing verbatim. But, A TUTorial would work. Just give credit where credit is due. I don't even know what a fracture is unless you've got broken bones. I'm curious now myself. I'd like for you to share with me. If your friend next door quilts, would you show her your book or method?
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Wonder if these questions are an instance of 'nobody really knows' or if the laws governing these issues are tied to location? My LQS says they are not legally entitled to require purchase of a book for a class taught by the book's author, although both the teacher and the store 'strongly recommend' and certainly expect class participants do so. Patterns may be a different matter--that topic didn't come up.
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with the LQS wanting you to purchase the book they are teaching a class from - they are making money from the classes, so the author of the book should get something to. By teaching the class from that book, for their business, they are going beyond personal use. I'd share with my neighbor, though, if she liked the quilt that resulted from the class. I'm not making anything (except a better friendship) by sharing. OK in my book.
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM

I would probably share.
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Default Agree or Disagree

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
    Given that it is a new method, I think it would be wrong of an LQS to offer a class in the method without requiring students to purchase the book. Once a method becomes very commonplace, it's less of an issue, but you wouldn't even know about the method except for having read that book.

I agree with the poster that says she won't be forced to buy a book for a class if she gets it from the library - however, it would be impractical to teach a class and expect the library to provide copies of the book for all participants. Photocopies would be unacceptable as it is not personal use.
    My major point is this method has been done before, for many years in fact in bow tie patterns so does it belong to the author of the ten minute block.

I agree with many of the points of view in these postings and I disagree with some. My belief is that if you put it out on utube you have lost the right to claim it as yours since it is posted for anyone and everyone whether they buy your patttern or book or not.

I have made this quilt from the book that I bought however I am one of those who is a hands on learner and I believe that it is not wrong to ask for help if you don't understand the directions in the book. Is this a violation of the rules. I don't believe so.

The concepts of quilting have been passed down through time itself and many variations of ways to do different techniques exist because of that. We cannot patent/copyright everything. If we did we would not be able to function at all since everything we do each day is a learned behaviour how do you justify me darning a sock with a method that was done before by someone who taught my mother. Is that protected and can you patent that method.

Sorry this is so long but one thing I have seen in travelling is that there are several patterns out there for the same thing. A quilter on the east coast has an original idea of their own for a design and creates a pattern. Then someone on the west coast has an idea along the same lines and creates their own pattern for sale. Neither of them saw the others work. Who owns the copyright or patent on it. Lots of food for thought and I don't think anyone will ever find a clear answer to all of this.
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM

My answer is:" I used the technique, methood whatever from Sadie Such and Such's book ----- Dazzle the Frazzle". I got my copy from LQS or library. (Using the book, author and where I bought the book.) Some quilts I have designed the pattern for and these are available at my LQS. I am famous for challenging myself and my friends to make a fabric go home by taking off and designing something there and then. If I use a particular technique I would hope that anyone recreating the project would refer the inquiries to the original pattern.
    Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
    Please don't think I believe your question is silly. In our litigious age, it is a good question. However, I want all of you to know that I have written an essay on my blog about the method I use to load my dishwasher and if I catch any of you quoting from that essay, discussing whether it is a good way to load a dishwasher, or writing to your newly married son or daughter any part of my method of loading a dishwasher, I will sue your socks off! froggyintexas
    You go girl