Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Microchipping Valuable Quilts? >

Microchipping Valuable Quilts?

Microchipping Valuable Quilts?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Sensors and CAMERAS. Cameras all over the place.

And like some very expensive stores, how about those clip on thingeys that make door sensors ring like a fire engine?? I think that is where the quilting world is heading, and it's about time.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Sensors and CAMERAS. Cameras all over the place.

And like some very expensive stores, how about those clip on thingeys that make door sensors ring like a fire engine?? I think that is where the quilting world is heading, and it's about time.
Not even only the expensive stores anymore, Ramona. Seems like anything over $10.00 gets one! Fine with me! Just wish they could make a kids bracelet that the little ones could wear in a store or mall!! :) :) :)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
All you'd need to find a chip in a quilt is a scanner. Once located, it would be extremely easy to remove through a very small slit, easily fused shut afterwards. Chipping is not intended to deter theft, only to locate owners once the item (pet) is found. Tattoos do the same thing...as would sewing a name label inside a quilt.
I'm a belt and suspenders kind of gal when it comes to my pets. They're all microchipped and they're all tattooed.

The way that microchipping might deter theft is if any show or displayed let it be known that some/all of their quilts were microchipped. It won't stop a determined thief but it may well deter an opportunistic thief who may fear being caught.

The person who mentioned using it to trace the history of a quilt had an interesting idea as well. Even if all you know is the list of owners, that's pretty fascinating 100 or 150 years down the line.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Extra label inside seems do-able to me .... Make sure your recipient knows it is there ...

The quilts will probably outlive the technology .... I think that is why some people keep quilting journals ...Make your labels detailed enough to be identified by your third generation ... initials only and year of construction just won't tell much at that late date. I am talking far in the future, not just today.

Even QR codes may not mean much at that point.

In the short-term, if you are shipping and entering public quilt shows, perhaps it is worthwhile to do the expensive route of chips and insurance ...... I haven't made any quilts at that level just yet, so those who have done so would be better able to address this issue.

Take photos of both front and back, and an up-close picture of the intricate quilting ... and a readable, blown up picture of your label .... and keep a real copy in an album ....

Originally Posted by grammatjr
I know you said that the microchip would be harder to remove than a label, but am afraid that could be costly.

Did you catch the thread on QR codes and making them on your label? You can do it for free, and it is very easy.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-121655-1.htm here is how to print a code, so any cell phone (with the app) can read it. If you sew the label into the quilt, so that it would be hard to remove, it would help.

I have also heard of making an extra label inside the binding. So, if you see your lost/stolen quilt, you still have proof it is yours, even if they have removed the label.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I was at a small quilt show a few weeks ago and one vendor had a small security camera on each side of her booth. She was recording the whole day on a portable video. She said shoplifters were a bad problem when the booth was full of people. She would have missing fat quarters, notions, pattern, and anything small to slip in a pocket or tote. She said just having cameras visible stopped just about all the theft. Not sure she could find the thief later but I guess could turn it over to local authorities and have proof for insurance or taxes. There are many more kleptomaniacs then just shoplifters then people realize at these shows.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned

all museum quilts are starting to get chipped.

as for the cameras...you do know they are usually fakes right..it costs too much to actually record and store the info and is considered illegal "taping" too!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 PM

I thought the cameras ( fakes OR real) were only illegal if you did not put up signage at a distance before the people actual came into the range of the camera, to give them fair warning so they could decide whether or not they wanted to be caught on camera .....??
Maybe different states/counties/countries have different rules .... probably worth checking with the local authorities before you do such ...
hmmmm

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
all museum quilts are starting to get chipped.

as for the cameras...you do know they are usually fakes right..it costs too much to actually record and store the info and is considered illegal "taping" too!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM

It is my understanding that the C&T quilts missing after Quilt Market, were mispacked, either intentionally or by accident. Either way, it's not likely that a complete stranger took them from the display area. They went missing between the close of Market and the time the crate was opened back at C&T. I could be wrong, but that's what everything I've read about it says.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:41 AM

Unfortunately, the only thing that seems to slow the thieves down is if you Dynabolt everything to the wall and even then they'd come equipped with a jack hammer.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:00 AM

Sometimes, when I can, I sew the label on the lining before it is quilted, then it is almost impossible to remove. It also easier than sewing it on by hand. It pleases me but probably not a kosher thing to do, but its my quilt and as a gift to someone the washing instructions are always there. I like to print my labels on the computer, add a little artwork with permanents pens and etc. Works for me and I don't enter any in competions. I just love to quilt.