Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Microchipping Valuable Quilts? >

Microchipping Valuable Quilts?

Microchipping Valuable Quilts?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:42 AM

I agree with jaciqltznok. The cameras are usually fake but they deter some shoplifters. Thieves who make a living stealing aren't deterred by anything--just ask any police officer or prison guard. If there was a way to prevent theft, every store in the nation would employ it. I've had things stolen at garage sales. Sad isn't it?
Sue
Old 07-23-2011, 06:33 AM

A friend who has now sadly passed use to make the label right on the backing fabric with her embroidery machine. Makes it almost impossible to remove.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Sewing the label onto the back before it is quilted sounds like a good idea, then it is quilted right into the quilt. But if it is stolen then some one else can just applique another label over the top of that. If a thief wants it bad enough they will find a way - which is too bad.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Julia
Sometimes, when I can, I sew the label on the lining before it is quilted, then it is almost impossible to remove. It also easier than sewing it on by hand. It pleases me but probably not a kosher thing to do, but its my quilt and as a gift to someone the washing instructions are always there. I like to print my labels on the computer, add a little artwork with permanents pens and etc. Works for me and I don't enter any in competions. I just love to quilt.
Actually, quilting in the label is the recommended method on lostquilts.com, to make the label more difficult to remove. Their alternative is to put the label directly on the backing fabric (permanent marker or embroidery).

If you enter the quilt in competition, they suggest basting a patch of contrasting fabric over the quilted-in label with "Name of Owner Under This Patch" written on it in permanent ink.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM

There are a couple of problems with microchipping. The cost is one - those RFID chips and readers are not cheap. The second (and biggest, IMO) is how does someone who is not a quilter know there is a microchip in the quilt?

I still like the QR code best. You can quilt the QR code right into the quilt, so that to remove it would mean destroying the quilt. Generating a code is free and very easy. Reading one does not take special equipment, only a smart phone.

My friend Cindi did a ton of research and wrote about QR codes, how to generate them, how to put them on a quilt. You can read about it here: http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...des-on-quilts/

However, I don't believe someone stole all 4 of those missing quilts. It would be really, really hard to get all of them moved without attracting attention. I'm pretty sure there's a box somewhere with those quilts in it.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:48 AM

Seems to me that is a quilt were microchipped, all a thief would have to do was submerse the quilt in a tub of water. The microchip in a dog is under the skin, which is somewhat waterproof. Maybe, the quilts could have a device like the department stores have on clothing (but harder to be taken off and waterproof, teehee), and the detectors at every door at the quilt show.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 AM

How about those gadgets that dep't stores put on clothing? You enter your quilt in a show and this tab is put on. To retreive your quilt after the show, you must show id and a receipt. A picture of you with the quilt can also be requested and put in a binder for id purposes also. The picture can be returned along with the quilt. Of course at the doors, sensors must be installed. Any quilt going near these sensors would set off the alarm. Never ask anyone else to retrieve your quilt!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Ok try this, if you have a smart phone. You will see EXACTLY what I am talking about and how easy it is!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230749.gif  
Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 PM

The New England Quilt Museum asked me if I would consider loaning them one of my antique quilts for one of their seasonal displays a few years ago. I did chip the quilt before loaning it to them. http://www.myfavoritethimble.com/chi...roducts123.htm
I see that the prices have gone up since I did this and smart phones hadn't come out.

piney
Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 PM

OK, I've been 'net surfing (too hot for much else) and Tom Russell has some goodcomments on his blog. http://tomrussellquilts.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/

piney