Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Microwavable potato bag >

Microwavable potato bag

Microwavable potato bag

Old 01-10-2022, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
I made a cover for my neck heating pad and made sure it was cotton and cotton thread too. so far, so good.
Be careful. I had a microwavable heating pad and used it for years. Then it literally blew up in the microwave. I wasn't heating it any differently than I had many times in the past. I think it just reached its limit. Luckily I wasn't burned, and the microwave still worked fine afterward.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:42 PM

Wow, thanks. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. I don' t need a loud scare like that.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:01 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I really don't understand why people put cotton and batting in the microwave. What's wrong with the way we cooked before?
I can only assume this bag is to keep accidental potato debris from reaching the microwave walls if someone forgot to pierce it before microwaving.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:23 PM

folks may use scrap batting in small things like this. Try as I might, I don't always keep my scrap batting labeled. I have good intentions, but somehow, I seem to lose the scrap of paper I wrote on as I rummage through my batting scraps trying to pick one out the same size. I use a little 100 % cotton batting but most of it is 80/20 so I have 20 % poly in a lot of the scraps. When I make something for the microwave or hot pads, I dig out the 100% cotton batting that I bought for this purpose and which lives all by its' lonesome in a special bag where I also keep the for the hot pad stuff designed with the shining stuff in it. I have heard of those bowl wraps, bursting into flames as the maker who sold them at the craft shop, did not use 100% cotton.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:02 PM

I made my first set of bowl cozies with leftover fabric and batting. I wasn't sure if it was 100% cotton so I took a sample of fabric, a sample of batting and a sample of thread and microwaved it on a paper plate. Nothing happened so I went with it. I haven't heard any complaints. However, I now use the batting specifically for the microwave, mostly because I ran out of scrap batting.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:17 AM

The reason for microwave batting is exactly this.. Too many fires with cotton batting.
most often it is the scrim...tiny cotton husk ...that catch on fire, the actual cotton then gives it fuel.
same thing happened to my daughters potatoes bag.. I had made several with no scrim batting and two with scrim, all batting was warm and natural. Hers was one of the scrim pieces with the flecks in it. I threw the second one away.. if you look closely at microwaveable batting, NO FLECKS.
BTW, I use these bags for warming tortillas too.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:31 PM

I made a bunch of those bags for Christmas gifts years ago. I was careful to use 100% cotton fabric and thread, AND the 'special' batting that was supposed to be for microwave use. 2 people told me their bags caught fire. I felt horrible!!! I did everything 'right' but 2 dangerous incidents happened. I immediately informed all the other folks who had been gifted with these bags to proceed with great caution or throw them away.
So yes! I have heard of this issue and still caution people about it. And every time I see that specially batting for sale - I feel like sticking a huge DO NOT BUY note on it!
So glad no one was hurt.
Donna Mc
Old 01-11-2022, 09:44 PM

I made the potato bags and the bowlies and used a special batting. I think it was called wrap n sap.