Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Microwavable potato bag >

Microwavable potato bag

Microwavable potato bag

Old 01-09-2022, 04:30 PM

Default Microwavable potato bag

Sort of off topic - My sister has used a quilted bag for her potatoes for years with no problem. It finally wore out so she bought a new one. The second time she used it it caught on fire in the microwave. She told the girl she bought it from about this and the girl had no idea why, said it was 100% cotton and thread. Has anyone else heard of this problem with the bags?
Old 01-09-2022, 05:08 PM

No , it should be fine with the cotton.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:52 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
Sort of off topic - My sister has used a quilted bag for her potatoes for years with no problem. It finally wore out so she bought a new one. The second time she used it it caught on fire in the microwave. She told the girl she bought it from about this and the girl had no idea why, said it was 100% cotton and thread. Has anyone else heard of this problem with the bags?
What batting was used?
Old 01-09-2022, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Even a cotton bag will catch fire if it gets hot enough.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:01 PM

I really don't understand why people put cotton and batting in the microwave. What's wrong with the way we cooked before?
Old 01-10-2022, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
What batting was used?
She was told everything was 100% cotton. In looking further I read that even 100% cotton can have a coating that may be flammable or may have a tiny bit of polyester or metal. Special microwavable batting should be used, I really don't know if this was or not. Just seems strange that she never had a problem with her old potato bag and this one she did on the second try.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if it ruined her microwave. I wouldn't put anything like that in one no matter what people say!
Old 01-10-2022, 07:23 AM

I think one of the biggest things we assume is that when someone tells us something we just take their word for it. If she bought this at a craft show then there really is no way of knowing what was actually used and of course the seller would say she has no idea why that happened. Not saying there was any ill intent, simply saying some people don’t put a lot of effort into things they make and may assume a fabric that looks like cotton, so it must be cotton, all thread must be cotton or did not know there was a difference, the same applies to batting. I think this is one item that should be made by the person using it just to be safe. Trust, but verify…..
Old 01-10-2022, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I wouldn't put anything like that in one no matter what people say!
Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I think one of the biggest things we assume is that when someone tells us something we just take their word for it. If she bought this at a craft show then there really is no way of knowing what was actually used and of course the seller would say she has no idea why that happened.
I agree with both these statements 100%.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:36 PM

I made a cover for my neck heating pad and made sure it was cotton and cotton thread too. so far, so good.