Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Iron Recommendation Needed >

Mini Iron Recommendation Needed

Mini Iron Recommendation Needed

Old 11-20-2015, 07:16 PM

Default Mini Iron Recommendation Needed

I've been wanting a mini iron for a few years now. I'm tired of popping up and down like a jack-n-the-box every time I sew a seam. If anyone uses a mini iron or a palm size portable iron, please let me know which one you would or would not recommend. I know Dritz and Clover have a couple but the reviews weren't great for either.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:21 PM

I have both the Clover and the Dritz Petite Press. I hated the Clover. Loved the Petite Press so much, I went back to the store and bought 2 more - one for a friend, and a backup for myself.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

This is the one I'm using at LQS...what I like about it is it's heat...steam.. and how it handles. It fits so nicely in the hand...isn't tippy either...LQS. carries it...DD and all 3 DDIL Are getting one for Christmas..Haven't seen any reviews this is just my HO....oh and watch your mailbox.....

SteamFast Home & Away Steam Iron

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-20-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:51 PM

I use the Clover Mini Iron 2. Personally, I love it. It gets hot very quickly & stays hot. It does a fantastic job pressing seams & small bits of applique. I keep a mini spray bottle with water (3 oz travel size) in case any stubborn wrinkles require a bit of steam -- or if I accidentally press the seam the wrong way to start with & need help to force it back the correct direction. I am planning to get the "Large" sole plate attachment for Christmas. The standard size is usually sufficient, but the larger plate would be helpful for some applique I do or for pressing 2-3" pieces when I'm at a workshop/retreat and don't want to head over to the ironing board.

The only thing I would recommend is that if you don't buy the stand Clover makes for it, it's worthwhile to buy a cheapy spoon rest (like for the stovetop) to set it in when it's on. It comes with a flimsy foldable stand & especially at retreats the slightest little bump of the table can knock it off the stand & singe pressing surface and/or fabric.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
This is the one I'm using at LQS...what I like about it is it's heat...steam.. and how it handles. It fits so nicely in the hand...isn't tippy either...LQS. carries it...DD and all 3 DDIL Are getting one for Christmas..Haven't seen any reviews this is just my HO....oh and watch your mailbox.....

SteamFast Home & Away Steam Iron
This is the iron I bought recently and I really like it for all of the reasons stated by oksewglad.

Last edited by mjkgquilt; 11-20-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 PM

My sister still has the doll iron we had as girls in the late 1950's -- before someone decided kids couldn't be trusted with miniature electric appliances. It is about the size of a mug. No steam, of course.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by quilting cat View Post
My sister still has the doll iron we had as girls in the late 1950's -- before someone decided kids couldn't be trusted with miniature electric appliances. It is about the size of a mug. No steam, of course.
I still have mine. Haven't used it in years. Wonder if it still works.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:28 AM

I also have this one and like it.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:46 AM

[h=2]SteamFast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron[/h]I got this at Amazon before they were available at quilt stores. It's wonderful, as others have said. Less than $30 and worth every penny. I have a small June Taylor iron pad/cutting board and I keep it to the right of my machine so I can easily sew and then press.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I bought a Clover iron but I like to get the exercise for getting up to iron so I seldom use it.