Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini-irons? >

Mini-irons?

Mini-irons?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I haven't used a glove. I *always* use my Slidelock now, and I also like to put grip strips on my rulers and templates (including my June Tailor shape cut mat). The grips are the best thing I have found to keep a ruler or template from sliding. The Slidelock lifts my free hand out of range of the rotary cutter, and it also helps keep rulers and templates from sliding. I have trained myself now to *always* put the guard back on the rotary cutter when I walk away from the table, but I think there are newer rotary cutters that will automatically place the guard back after you finish cutting. These have helped me a lot to be safer with the rotary cutter.

Here is a link to the Slidelock (I use both sizes regularly):
http://www.quiltersslidelock.com/

And here is a link to the grip strips I like on Amazon (although they also have their own website):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DF9DLA/

I would also say it could be worthwhile for you to invest in an electric scissors and an Accuquilt Go Big! The electric scissors can only rough-cut fabric (not precise enough for cutting quilt pieces), but you could use it to rough-cut yardage into pieces suitable for running through the Accuquilt. The Go Big! is their electric version so you do not need any strength to run the pieces through the die cutter. In your situation, I think the investment would be a very good one.

My electric scissors are no longer made, but here is a link to something similar to mine:
https://www.amazon.com/Circular-Elec...dp/B00IZ8PTY6/
Old 09-20-2016, 02:54 PM

I have 2 mini-irons. One is called Monster and the other is by Dritz. They are great for pressing seams while piecing blocks but I like my full sized iron when pressing the completed block. They both take water but I use them dry.
I also do not use the F&P glove nor do any of my quilting buddies.
I use the Slidelock --I find my strips are more evenly cut and the handle keeps my hand out of the way of the cutter. I have Black & Decker electric scissors but never think to use them. I used them more for garment sewing. I have small circles of circular clear plastic that sticks on the rulers--can't find the package right now--seems they are called Tru-grips or something like that. Bought those at a sewing machine store. I also watched the instructor on OnPoint video and she uses a small amount of adhesive spray on her larger rulers.

Last edited by MarleneC; 09-20-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:42 PM

I use a Rowenta travel sized steam iron that I bought used at Savers. It cost me less than $10--works great with steam and 1000 watts--and I feel good about reclaiming items rather than practicing wasteful consumerism.