Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Irons >

Mini Irons

Mini Irons

Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I'm pretty cheap!! I had the clover in my basket at JoAnn's and when I was passing the iron isle, I saw the cutest little iron that was pink for 9.99 & I had a 50% off coupon!!! Brought home the little pink one. Too cute for words!!! Brings me a smile just thinking about it.
I have one of these - I bought it really just for decoration (since, like you say, it looked so cute). Now that I've read in many places that people actually use them, I have a question. I seem to remember in the instructions (which I can no longer find) that you shouldn't leave it on for more than 10 minutes at a time. Is this correct, or am I dreaming??
Old 04-24-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by margaret light
Has anybody used, tried, have an opinion on the Clover Mini Irons? I wanted to purchase one for appliqueing, but have read some really negative remarks on Joann's "review this product" section. They seem expensive, and I do not want to spend that kind of money if they really are a "flop". Thanks for your input, as always I am sure it will be worth its weight in knowledge. Bea
I have one and it works fine for me. I only use it on very small areas, like seams when I don't want to use a regular size iron.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:15 PM

I have the Clover Iron and you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands before I will give it up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it for pressing seams. I use a small travel iron for pressing my finished blocks. I keep my Clover Iron in a coffee cup while I'm using it. That prevents me from trying to pick it up by the rod. (been there done that ain't fun)
Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 PM

I have a Clover Mini Iron and use it all the time. I was at a quilt show a few years ago and found the coolest little ironing board that measures 4" by 10" and it has a silver thermal cover. The board screws onto my sewing table and has a little arm that you can move to either side that hold the iron vertically. Don't you just love gadgets...
Old 04-24-2010, 03:04 PM

I have a Clover Mini Iron & I love it.
I use it for paper piecing.
I've had it many years, dropped it on the tile floor quite a few times & it still works great :lol: :lol:
I got it new on Ebay cheap
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Recently I bought a back up (on Ebay) just in case....
Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 PM

OK folks, it would seem that the Clover is the recommended iron. I messed up on a project - me I would never do that! - but in my defense I did it well LOL. Cut out parts for 48 Sun Bonnet Sue appliques, never placed a piece of fusible on any of the fabric (grrrrrrr) so now I have lots of pieces to turn, and my big iron is just not the ticket - burned fingers, thumbs and a few other "things" that got in the way (the critters are fine). So I am pricing them and they seem to vary greatly in price, from $25.00 up to close to $70. Cruised eBay and am watching a couple, to see if I can snag one for a great price. Thank you all so much, you are always so full of info. Bea
Old 04-24-2010, 03:15 PM

I have the original mini Clover Iron, and wish I had waiting until the 2nd version came out, as you can get interchangable plates for it. The plate on mine is really only large enough to use for things like pressing down bias when appliquéing (in my opinion). Alot of places where you attend retreats don't have enough power to run all the machines & full irons. The little clover ones don't take much.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:11 PM

I have a clover mini iron and I love it. Works great for paper piecing. One word of caution, it gets EXTREMELY hot. I know this because I've burned myself several times and have the scars to prove it!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Google Goddess

I haven't tried one yet
Old 04-25-2010, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I'm pretty cheap!! I had the clover in my basket at JoAnn's and when I was passing the iron isle, I saw the cutest little iron that was pink for 9.99 & I had a 50% off coupon!!! Brought home the little pink one. Too cute for words!!! Brings me a smile just thinking about it.
I have one of these - I bought it really just for decoration (since, like you say, it looked so cute). Now that I've read in many places that people actually use them, I have a question. I seem to remember in the instructions (which I can no longer find) that you shouldn't leave it on for more than 10 minutes at a time. Is this correct, or am I dreaming??
Actually I don't remember reading that, I haven't had a problem. All I know is that you don't put water in it. Has worked fine. Going to use it for hopefully lifting fused applique to put the stem under. I actually like the fact that it stands up like an iron. You really need to be careful with the clover, because of the hot open steel area on it. I can see burning myself with that! :lol: :lol: