Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Irons >

Mini Irons

Mini Irons

Old 04-25-2010, 03:41 AM

I have the Hobbico too and I like it. It's a good one for taking to classes or traveling - not too big or small.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 AM

I have the little Clover and have used it for many years,still works. I just bought a small travel iron and will see which works best for me. Jolo
Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 AM

I have the clover mini and I use it for fusing.
I make wall hangings with the 1" squares on the fusible grid..works great........

tiny but one needs tiny for some projects!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:10 AM

The long stick type mini-iron with the triangle shaped head that you may or may not be able to change to different shapes? Yes, I have one and find it very useful for small work where I can't get a flat press without messing up somthing nearby with the big iron.

I first used it to heat set fusible small pieces inside blocks or to fuse small pieces while fabric is still in the embroidery hoop.

When you need flat heat in a tight spot so you don't melt something nearby, you want a super small long necked iron.

Once you try it a few times you won't want to let it go.

Yes, they do take longer to heat up, and yes, set it down the same way each time in the same place or you are going to grab it by the business end by accident. But we already trained ourselves to do this with big irons, didn't we?

have fun,
Old 04-25-2010, 04:16 AM

I have a Clover mini iron. A good friend bought it for me about 7 years ago. Am really disappointed in it, the temp control button broke off immediately and now I can't seem to "dial" it to get hot enought to do any real seam pressing. If there is one out there that I could be sure would put out some heat, it would have to come home with me.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

I have and love mine. Would'nt be without it. I keep mine in a cup to. Wait and buy it with a 50% off cupon.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I'm pretty cheap!! I had the clover in my basket at JoAnn's and when I was passing the iron isle, I saw the cutest little iron that was pink for 9.99 & I had a 50% off coupon!!! Brought home the little pink one. Too cute for words!!! Brings me a smile just thinking about it.
I have one of these - I bought it really just for decoration (since, like you say, it looked so cute). Now that I've read in many places that people actually use them, I have a question. I seem to remember in the instructions (which I can no longer find) that you shouldn't leave it on for more than 10 minutes at a time. Is this correct, or am I dreaming??
I don't remember the directions either, however, in one of my sewing classes the instructor showed everyone how her husband attached/spliced an on/off switch to the cord so she could turn it off and on. I haven't asked my husband to do this yet. I did purchase a Rowenta traveling iron which I like very much. I can iron 'in the hoop' when I am embroidering and you can use the steam setting or not. I like it very much.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:56 AM

I have a little iron I bought at JoAnns that sits about 4 inches tall. I don't care for it at all because the plug in is on the left side and when I go to use it the plug falls out. Frustrating. It looks like a regular iron, only plastic. I really think someone who is left handed could use it better.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:32 AM

I and several of the girls in my ASG NG have one and love it. I use mine always for stained glass and it's invaluable for PP.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 AM

I have a Clover Mini Iron and its great so you don't have to get up and down for the big iron which is what I was doing now I can sew and press without getting up.