Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a mini self rant >

a mini self rant

a mini self rant

Old 10-20-2011, 03:42 AM

If you have room to stack bins would you have room for a couple of bookcases? They hold gobs of material and instead of folding my material I roll it, I can see everything at a glance.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 AM

Try stacking the totes, one on top of each other, no lids, open part facing you. You then have your own shelving unit made from the three bins Then stack your folded fabrics inside each bin, however you want them organized: by color, flannels, batiks, etc. What you'll have is your own home-made shelving unit. You can add separate small bins within the largeer bins for scraps or whatever. If you want to keep the fabric dust free you can throw a pretty sheet or flannel-backed vinyl over the unit. I hope this can work for you. It's so great to have your stash set up so you can look at it!
Angela
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 AM

Peggi...
I want to give your mushy faced dog a BIG *KISS*. He/she is adorable!!!! I have Boxers.. I love smushy faced dogs...lol
Old 10-20-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by NancyG
Originally Posted by Izaquilter
I fold mine around a 6" X 24" ruler so they are all the same widths....here's my pic I've shown probably a million times & I apoligize but I'm proud of my accomplishment on getting mine organized!
This is how I fold and store mine. Works real well and you can easily find what you need. I keep smaller scraps in a clear plastic tub.
I fold the same way. :-)
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
I really really wish I had a better storage system for all my fabric. I have 4 huge tubs of fabric and the fabric is not in any particular arrangement...so when I go looking for something somewhat specific, I can't find it unless I empty all the bins :(

I really suck at keeping the fabric in any time of organized fashion. I have no many large/small/medium sized scraps and only about a quarter of what I have total is yardage. I really do envy any of you that have shelf space dedicated to fabric, or any type of organized way of doing things....

Chaos is the only way to describe my stash. Story of my life.
You are not Robinson Crusoe...
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 AM

Beautiful organization. :D :D :D
Old 10-20-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
I really really wish I had a better storage system for all my fabric. I have 4 huge tubs of fabric and the fabric is not in any particular arrangement...so when I go looking for something somewhat specific, I can't find it unless I empty all the bins :(

I really suck at keeping the fabric in any time of organized fashion. I have no many large/small/medium sized scraps and only about a quarter of what I have total is yardage. I really do envy any of you that have shelf space dedicated to fabric, or any type of organized way of doing things....

Chaos is the only way to describe my stash. Story of my life.
Me too.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 AM

I think I would at least sort by your main colors, then maybe values within those colors. You can wrap the fabric around pieces of cardboard to keep them orderly and maybe get them all back into your original 4 tubs.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 AM

Beautiful! I wish I had a shelving system like that
Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 AM

I can see this as a problem when choosing fabric for a project. I have to have organization in my sewing room, as well as throughout my house.
If you have a closet you can install wire bins for your fabric.
They will help you organize your fabric so you can see the fabric, this allows you to pull out the correct piece. They pull out for easy access. Underneath my bins, I have a coardboard box computer paper came in for my scraps. They are pressed, strips and squares are separated.
When this box gets full I make a charity quilt.
I would definitly work out some sort of organization for your fabric stash. :D