Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Sewing Machine >

Mini Sewing Machine

Mini Sewing Machine

Old 04-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Sounds good except you cannot buy thru catalog. If you don't have an IKEA near, you are out of luck. Cute machine!

Originally Posted by Bicycle Hobo View Post
I only buy simple mechanical sewing machines for many years. Most of the time (with some very rare exceptions like buttonhole making), I sew only straight stitches. Sometimes I have use for a zig zag stitch for about 5% of the time. With Sears no longer offering their Kenmore line of sewing machines, I have been buying sewing machines like the Janome Hello Kitty 11706 and one of the last Kenmore made mechanical sewing machines in 2010. Both of them are very light weight at about 12 pounds (the Janome 3/4 in size) and 15 pounds (the Kenmore regular sized) respectively. The one I am looking at next when it becomes available at my local Ikea is the SY Sewing Machine. It appears to have much more important features that the Janome Mini does not offer-like a built-in light, more stitches even decorating ones, actually 3/4 size vs. just 1/2 size, and various exchangeable feet like zipper foot, buttonhole foot, cleaning brush, etc. The advertised retail price is competitive to the Janome Mini at 59 dollars. If it is similarly constructed in a durable fashion (and I believe it is with a aluminum frame), and is able to sew over several layers of fabric like my other sewing machines, I will buy the SY too.

Sy Sewing Machine:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60208974/
Old 04-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I have never seen a sewing machine in Ikea! will be something to keep my eye out for next time I am near one.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
Sounds like a good idea.

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Sounds good except you cannot buy thru catalog. If you don't have an IKEA near, you are out of luck. Cute machine!
When I checked for availability at my local Ikea store (it is not available online in the US yet), I received this message:

Product availability
Product: SY Sewing machine, Store: CA

This product is out of stock at your selected store. At the moment the expected delivery date is unavailable.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have never seen a sewing machine in Ikea! will be something to keep my eye out for next time I am near one.
I don't think you could have. While this machine is available in Europe, it has yet to make an appearance in the US. I think this sewing machine will arrive on our shores very soon as the Webpage is already up and running advertising this sewing machine. I am watching out for this machine as well for a probable purchase if it meets my own demands and criteria.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:11 AM

I said I"d never buy another machine like this one for one of my granddaughters. I bought the oldest one a toy machine. I tossed almost $50 in the trash for that one. This one was on sale at Hancock's for $49.99. I took a chance on it. I should have just bought a nice used Singer machine and she would have had a machine she would have used for a lifetime. My experience with the machine isn't good at all. It made a great stitch to begin with. It lasted about a month if that. Just long enough I didn't feel right taking it back. If it were me..I"d send it back and buy a used Singer. Oh and for my oldest granddaughter..I bought her a Singer 99K. Just my thoughts..for what they are worth.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 AM

The SY machine is in stock in the Toronto store in Canada. Looks okay but would love to see up close. $69 dollars here

Last edited by glorcour; 04-23-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 AM

I have the Janome Mini and I love it. It is a little powerhouse. I use it as a back up and to take on trips or to class. It's a great little machine. It feels sturdy when you sew on it unlike many of the less expensive machines.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM

I bought my granddaughter the Janome 3128 and it sewed very nicely. It was similar to the Jem (but at $119). I debated about the mini but the shop owner didn't know much about it. The 3128 has about 8 stitches, but has the old fashioned bobbin, so it took me a few minutes to figure that out. I think this will be a good machine to grow with her.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I bought the 3/4 size Janome for my granddaughter. It sews fine. The 1/2 size was more like a toy machine, very clackaty sounding and slow. I had room for a portable machine in every camper or RV I've been in. Even the pop up one I was stuck in for a week on a kids camping trip. If DH had room for a tackle box (and he found room), I had room for my machine.
I wish we had a "like" button on here. I like your thinking "room for a tackle box, room for a sewing machine". :>)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 AM

I have the Janome 760 and I really like it. It does a whole bunch of stitches. Or I should say it used to do a whole bunch of stitches until I sat my magnetic pin holder on top of it. Now it will only sew the decorative stitches back wards. But it still sews a straight stitch. It only weighs 13 lbs. It is great for taking to classes. It was around 300.00 or something like that. Janome also had the best manuals around. It tells you how to do various stitches the foot you need and much more. You can't go wrong with a Janome.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

This looks perfect for my DGD! I wanted one that I could slow the speed and this one is already slower.
When she is ready for something else, her sister will be old enough to start learning so I should more than get my money out of it