Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Mini Sewing Machine

  1. #1
    Super Member Sweeterthanwine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stagecoach, NV
    Posts
    1,585

    Question Mini Sewing Machine

    I just bought a "mini" Janome sew mini sewing machine to use in the motorhome when we travel. Has anyone else had any experience with this machine? It had good ratings on Amazon thats why I chose it over the others listed. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    middle of Kansas
    Posts
    1
    This sounds interesting. Did you buy from a dealer or online? I'm thinking it could replace the Singer featherwieght?

  3. #3
    Super Member Sweeterthanwine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stagecoach, NV
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by debbie52000 View Post
    This sounds interesting. Did you buy from a dealer or online? I'm thinking it could replace the Singer featherwieght?
    I bought it online thru Amazon

  4. #4
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,656
    Blog Entries
    2
    I bought the 3/4 size Janome for my granddaughter. It sews fine. The 1/2 size was more like a toy machine, very clackaty sounding and slow. I had room for a portable machine in every camper or RV I've been in. Even the pop up one I was stuck in for a week on a kids camping trip. If DH had room for a tackle box (and he found room), I had room for my machine.
    Got fabric?

  5. #5
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    Is this the one, for $59?
    http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Sew-Min...dp/B005TL10AY/

    This is the one that a lot of quilters get for a child, or for taking to classes:
    http://www.amazon.com/Janome-11706-H...dp/B0012PTMAG/
    It's available in plain white too, but I'm not sure of the model.

    The Janome Jem is another one quilters often get for taking to classes. The Jem comes in different models (gold, platinum, etc.) with the most basic being the gold, I think. Other models are the same size but offer more stitches, etc. The Janome Jem has an excellent reputation among quilters. Here is a link to the Janome Jem Gold on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Jem-Gol...dp/B000FLH2VE/

  6. #6
    Super Member Sweeterthanwine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stagecoach, NV
    Posts
    1,585
    Prism99 - yes the one for $59.00 from Amazon is the one I ordered. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Maybe when I get it if I don't like it I can return it. Amazon is good about returns.

  7. #7
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've always seen positive posts about the Janome Jem (all versions). If you're not satisfied with the mini, I would definitely return it and get one of the Jems instead.

    The "Hello Kitty" is good too if you want a really simple machine and don't mind the color. (Someone said they will eventually be collectible, but I don't really know about that......)

    If you do a search on Amazon for Janome Jem, you will see some of the different versions of it. I would think for piecing the Gold would be more than enough.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    794
    I have that same machine and I love it. Works great, wouldn't want to sew on it all the time, I like all my bells and whistles on my QC1000. For sewing strips, squares, etc., it's perfect. It is light weight, travels well in the RV and not noisy. I can sew at the dining table while hubby watches TV and he can still hear it.

  9. #9
    Member Bicycle Hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    80
    I only buy simple mechanical sewing machines for many years. Most of the time (with some very rare exceptions like buttonhole making), I sew only straight stitches. Sometimes I have use for a zig zag stitch for about 5% of the time. With Sears no longer offering their Kenmore line of sewing machines, I have been buying sewing machines like the Janome Hello Kitty 11706 and one of the last Kenmore made mechanical sewing machines in 2010. Both of them are very light weight at about 12 pounds (the Janome 3/4 in size) and 15 pounds (the Kenmore regular sized) respectively. The one I am looking at next when it becomes available at my local Ikea is the SY Sewing Machine. It appears to have much more important features that the Janome Mini does not offer-like a built-in light, more stitches even decorating ones, actually 3/4 size vs. just 1/2 size, and various exchangeable feet like zipper foot, buttonhole foot, cleaning brush, etc. The advertised retail price is competitive to the Janome Mini at 59 dollars. If it is similarly constructed in a durable fashion (and I believe it is with a aluminum frame), and is able to sew over several layers of fabric like my other sewing machines, I will buy the SY too.

    Sy Sewing Machine:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60208974/
    Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 04-21-2012 at 04:54 PM.

  10. #10
    Super Member sewbeadit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    4,007
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

  11. #11
    Super Member AZ Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,769
    Sounds good except you cannot buy thru catalog. If you don't have an IKEA near, you are out of luck. Cute machine!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle Hobo View Post
    I only buy simple mechanical sewing machines for many years. Most of the time (with some very rare exceptions like buttonhole making), I sew only straight stitches. Sometimes I have use for a zig zag stitch for about 5% of the time. With Sears no longer offering their Kenmore line of sewing machines, I have been buying sewing machines like the Janome Hello Kitty 11706 and one of the last Kenmore made mechanical sewing machines in 2010. Both of them are very light weight at about 12 pounds (the Janome 3/4 in size) and 15 pounds (the Kenmore regular sized) respectively. The one I am looking at next when it becomes available at my local Ikea is the SY Sewing Machine. It appears to have much more important features that the Janome Mini does not offer-like a built-in light, more stitches even decorating ones, actually 3/4 size vs. just 1/2 size, and various exchangeable feet like zipper foot, buttonhole foot, cleaning brush, etc. The advertised retail price is competitive to the Janome Mini at 59 dollars. If it is similarly constructed in a durable fashion (and I believe it is with a aluminum frame), and is able to sew over several layers of fabric like my other sewing machines, I will buy the SY too.

    Sy Sewing Machine:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60208974/
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

  12. #12
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    9,806
    I have never seen a sewing machine in Ikea! will be something to keep my eye out for next time I am near one.

  13. #13
    Member Bicycle Hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    Sounds like a good idea.


    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    Sounds good except you cannot buy thru catalog. If you don't have an IKEA near, you are out of luck. Cute machine!
    When I checked for availability at my local Ikea store (it is not available online in the US yet), I received this message:

    Product availability
    Product: SY Sewing machine, Store: CA


    This product is out of stock at your selected store. At the moment the expected delivery date is unavailable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I have never seen a sewing machine in Ikea! will be something to keep my eye out for next time I am near one.
    I don't think you could have. While this machine is available in Europe, it has yet to make an appearance in the US. I think this sewing machine will arrive on our shores very soon as the Webpage is already up and running advertising this sewing machine. I am watching out for this machine as well for a probable purchase if it meets my own demands and criteria.

  14. #14
    Junior Member joycet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    238
    I said I"d never buy another machine like this one for one of my granddaughters. I bought the oldest one a toy machine. I tossed almost $50 in the trash for that one. This one was on sale at Hancock's for $49.99. I took a chance on it. I should have just bought a nice used Singer machine and she would have had a machine she would have used for a lifetime. My experience with the machine isn't good at all. It made a great stitch to begin with. It lasted about a month if that. Just long enough I didn't feel right taking it back. If it were me..I"d send it back and buy a used Singer. Oh and for my oldest granddaughter..I bought her a Singer 99K. Just my thoughts..for what they are worth.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    825
    The SY machine is in stock in the Toronto store in Canada. Looks okay but would love to see up close. $69 dollars here
    Last edited by glorcour; 04-23-2012 at 05:16 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    653
    I have the Janome Mini and I love it. It is a little powerhouse. I use it as a back up and to take on trips or to class. It's a great little machine. It feels sturdy when you sew on it unlike many of the less expensive machines.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    upstate New York
    Posts
    29
    Blog Entries
    25
    I bought my granddaughter the Janome 3128 and it sewed very nicely. It was similar to the Jem (but at $119). I debated about the mini but the shop owner didn't know much about it. The 3128 has about 8 stitches, but has the old fashioned bobbin, so it took me a few minutes to figure that out. I think this will be a good machine to grow with her.

  18. #18
    Super Member jeanharville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Saratoga, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I bought the 3/4 size Janome for my granddaughter. It sews fine. The 1/2 size was more like a toy machine, very clackaty sounding and slow. I had room for a portable machine in every camper or RV I've been in. Even the pop up one I was stuck in for a week on a kids camping trip. If DH had room for a tackle box (and he found room), I had room for my machine.
    I wish we had a "like" button on here. I like your thinking "room for a tackle box, room for a sewing machine". :>)
    jean

  19. #19
    Senior Member Quilterfay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Saskatchewan in summer/Yuma AZ in winter
    Posts
    579
    I have the Janome 760 and I really like it. It does a whole bunch of stitches. Or I should say it used to do a whole bunch of stitches until I sat my magnetic pin holder on top of it. Now it will only sew the decorative stitches back wards. But it still sews a straight stitch. It only weighs 13 lbs. It is great for taking to classes. It was around 300.00 or something like that. Janome also had the best manuals around. It tells you how to do various stitches the foot you need and much more. You can't go wrong with a Janome.

  20. #20
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,658
    This looks perfect for my DGD! I wanted one that I could slow the speed and this one is already slower.
    When she is ready for something else, her sister will be old enough to start learning so I should more than get my money out of it
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

  21. #21
    Super Member ILoveToQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire & Maine
    Posts
    2,782
    I have a Singer "Tiny Tailor" which I picked up for $10 (brand new, never used) at an auction. It only does straight stitch, but being a Singer, I find it "sings" right along. Great for basic piecing and mending. Haven't thought about bringing a machine along on vacation (don't know how DH will feel about that since we tend to play Scrabble at night), but will consider bringing it along.

    Enjoy your new machine! Post some pix of projects you've made on it.
    Anita

    The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

  22. #22
    Junior Member windycitygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago,IL
    Posts
    190
    Yes, a lady at my QG has one and I took it for a test drive-worked great! Stitches looked nice, just doesn't sew super fast. I am thinking of getting one for myself. The regular Hancocks (Not of Paduch) puts them on sale periodically.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.