Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Miniature Quilt method/instructions

  1. #1
    Super Member Jackie R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Louis Cnty, MO USA
    Posts
    1,046
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just curious about miniature quilts after seeing some on this site. The pieces are so small I was wondering if these pieces are hand sewed and quilted or can a sewing machine really sew those small pieces together without eating them through the feeddogs? Thanks.

    Also, do you have a favorite book or web site that has some good info about these?

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    You can hand or machine sew these miniatures, try using leaders when you start machine piecing :D:D:D

  3. #3
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,003
    When I make my mini's on the machine I use a 1/8inch seam instead of a 1/4 inch. This makes it easier because the pieces are sometimes only 1/4inch pieces. You have to be very careful to sew a straight line.

  4. #4
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    i want to make some

  5. #5
    pookie ookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Trifid Nebula
    Posts
    1,305
    I print out paper piece patterns at smaller sizes. Any of the EQ programs are good for this. I use Blockbase for traditional blocks and EQ7 for blocks I draft.

  6. #6
    Super Member Jackie R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Louis Cnty, MO USA
    Posts
    1,046
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    When I make my mini's on the machine I use a 1/8inch seam instead of a 1/4 inch. This makes it easier because the pieces are sometimes only 1/4inch pieces. You have to be very careful to sew a straight line.
    Doesn't your sewing machine eat those tine pieces? Is there a trick to sewing them by machine and they not getting lost under the needle?

  7. #7
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    I am so fascinated by the mini's on here. I will certainly be watching this thread! =) I took a few of my big quilts and used the scraps as I was going along to make smaller versions of the big but far from mini's.

  8. #8
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie R
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    When I make my mini's on the machine I use a 1/8inch seam instead of a 1/4 inch. This makes it easier because the pieces are sometimes only 1/4inch pieces. You have to be very careful to sew a straight line.
    Doesn't your sewing machine eat those tine pieces? Is there a trick to sewing them by machine and they not getting lost under the needle?
    You can actually get a 1/8 inch foot for many machines, that is just like the 1/4 inch foot. Some people ( and me sometimes ) use the regular 1/4 inch and then cut it down. You can always try that.
    Oh, and no, the pieces don't get eaten by the machine.

  9. #9
    Power Poster oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    10,228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Below is a comment I made in the 1.5" swap thread. I use 1/4" seams and starch, even when using 3/4" cuts for 1/4" finished pieces.

    "I think the first order on the small stuff is to have accurate cuts, then sew an accurate, consistent seam.
    One thing one has to watch is how you start and end the seam. I call it the l-r swing. We as sewers tend to start to far to the left, curve into the 1/4" seam allowance and then end up too far from the right making a slight "S" shape in the seam. Try sewing 2 1.5" squares together with highly contrasting thread and see if that's a problem for you. If it is true for you, simply try to start and end straight. I catch myself doing the l-r swing everyonce in while and usually go back and resew the seam correctly.
    I don't press open, I get a better match by pressing to the side and butting the two seams together or "locking them in place" as Eleanor Burns would tell you."

  10. #10
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    26,721
    For minis, accuracy is a must! Starching fabrics helps too.
    I sew a 1/4" seam, and trim it down. Works for me!

  11. #11
    Super Member quiltjoey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Below is a comment I made in the 1.5" swap thread. I use 1/4" seams and starch, even when using 3/4" cuts for 1/4" finished pieces.

    "I think the first order on the small stuff is to have accurate cuts, then sew an accurate, consistent seam.
    One thing one has to watch is how you start and end the seam. I call it the l-r swing. We as sewers tend to start to far to the left, curve into the 1/4" seam allowance and then end up too far from the right making a slight "S" shape in the seam. Try sewing 2 1.5" squares together with highly contrasting thread and see if that's a problem for you. If it is true for you, simply try to start and end straight. I catch myself doing the l-r swing everyonce in while and usually go back and resew the seam correctly.
    I don't press open, I get a better match by pressing to the side and butting the two seams together or "locking them in place" as Eleanor Burns would tell you."

    I believe that is a problem I am having! Thanks for pointing that out. When I get to the end of the seam, it seems like the machine, but must be me, pulls to the right and I have to rip the seam out and resew. I have been learning to use the metal pointed thing to try to guide it through the foot but forget to use it until after I made the mistake! Thanks again...

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    first, foundation piecing is generally used!
    second, if piecing without foundation, use spray sizing(not starch) to firm up the fabrics,
    always use a leader, ender fabric to avoid the feed dog issue..which by the way, is usually caused by wrong tension or wrong/dull needle!

  13. #13
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,768
    Blog Entries
    50
    You can find lots of my tutorials and no I don't use foundation piecing. You can get great minis by using my shortcut methods.

    If you haven't seen these here are my links for the info I have available:

    My free tutorials on the Quilted Paradise Newsletter
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/230-jzl.jsp - cell phone case
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/231-uzl.jsp - bookmarks
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/232-uid.jsp - softbox pincushion 1st half
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/233-uid.jsp - softbox pincushion 2nd half
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/067-ezl.jsp - keychains
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/038-oqk.jsp - mouse pad--star point
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/235-zez.jsp - Ways to go beyond Quilts

    My free tutorials on the Quilting Board
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37915-1.htm - Easy Half Square Triangles
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36995-1.htm - Butterflys
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38879-1.htm - Boston Blocks
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-30920-1.htm - Confusion Crazy Quilting
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23252-1.htm - Tips for HSTs

    Rhonda's Workshops and Classes ( in the virtual section)
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1010

    Rhonda's Block directions
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1010

    Rhonda's Dazzling Sampler Quilt - Blocks of the Week Sampler
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1017

    Sampler Quilt Along Blocks and Layouts in one place
    http://www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com/p...QuiltAlong.php

    Picture Threads of Rhonda's Patchwork Items
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1024

    My website:
    http://www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com a free teaching site

    My EBooks
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/977-owz.jsp - Playing with Boston Blocks
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/983-owz.jsp - Dresden Kaleidoscopes
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/995-owz.jsp - Star Point Block
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/822.jsp - Bed Quilts Blocks and Borders with Wings Blocks

  14. #14
    Senior Member marscrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    444
    I like to use small pieces but with larger seams than normal, then you don't have to add batting. Just like the others said, any flaws like things not lining up tend to show more. They are really fun though, it's definitely worth trying. :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.