Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Miniature quilts >

Miniature quilts

Miniature quilts

Old 01-12-2015, 03:58 AM

Did you see what Kate Adams is charging for her miniature quilts. I wonder if she sells any.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:08 AM

You can also use the miniatures on chair side tables in place of table scarves, too.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:38 AM

I used to make miniature quilts for a lady who outfitted doll houses. Her specifications were that they were to be 1 inch to 1 foot in proportion. Several people who saw them thought they were hot pads! NOT! Many of the pieces were only 1/4 inch wide when they were sewn in. Intricate little buggers!

Last edited by lclang; 01-12-2015 at 04:39 AM. Reason: error
Old 01-12-2015, 04:54 AM

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate it. QB members are the best!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
I have 100's of quilting magazines that I've bought/kept as early as 80's til now. In 1996 there was a publication called "Miniature Quilt Ideas" by the editors of "Quilt Magazine". I just pulled out one of them that had Cake Stand Baskets that I loved,and turned out so adorable. The BLOCK size(cake stand block) is total 4", subcut of the squares to make the triangles was 1 7/8" When completed with four cake stand baskets on point with one inner border of 1"(1 1/2" before sewing)and another border of 2",plus binding, it measures 17 1/2" by 17 1/2". In these magazines, it offered paper pieced and some rotary cut pieced patterns. All were small in completed form with all the individual block pieces being of small scale as well. I have noticed that some of what is shown on the 'net in images as miniature quilts were not of the true miniature and just the completed quilt size being "miniature".On the flip side there are some beautiful ones that are the true miniature as it first started out to be. I made several for wall hangings, doll quilts for my collection of dolls, and for gifts for others,and sold some as well. It is fun, challenging and hope others try it.
There is a 2"cake stand basket block on this site. Go to site, then look for a list on the right side. It says Quilt with us. These are all small block projects.
www.temeculaquiltco.blogspot.com the name of the little basket is Little Blessings

Last edited by sewnsewsue; 01-12-2015 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-12-2015, 08:17 AM

I've taken to making lots of small quilts lately. They are usually around 16 x 20. It's easier for me to find spots on the wall to hang them than it is to find places for larger wall hangings.

A good source for small/miniature quilt ideas and patterns are the books by Kathleen Tracy. They can be found on her website, which also has several free patterns for download.... http://www.countrylanequilts.com/

She definitely leans toward civil war fabrics, but her patterns could of course be made with any fabrics. She also has a blog.... http://sentimentalquilter.blogspot.com/

...and a yahoo group which has lots of discussion and ideas for displaying small quilts.... https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/smallquilttalk/info
Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewsue View Post
There is a 2"cake stand basket block on this site. Go to site, then look for a list on the right side. It says Quilt with us. These are all small block projects.
www.temeculaquiltco.blogspot.com the name of the little basket is Little Blessings
Sewnsewsue, thank you so much for this link. It is now bookmarked and I am happy camper! You truly brightened my day.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 PM

Love small/wall/doll/mini quilts!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:54 PM

The other thing you need to be aware of is the importance of the fabrics with regard to scale. Sue Bouchard from Quilt in a Day teaches classes on making miniature quilts on YouTube plus she just started The Farmers Wife in I believe they were 4 inch finished but I am not positive about the size. Sure is tempting to start that one since she just did the first show although she made 3 blocks but they were very easy.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 AM

I've got some older books on miniature quilts - most are under 12 inches. Some used 1/8" seams. I made a couple and enjoyed doing it. I was using a Pfaff 1471 with the IDT.

The newer patterns that use Candies are fun. You can cut your scraps and experiment with a new technique or pattern without much cost. I've got the cutting dies for one and two inch squares and half-squares.