Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Minimum cut when buying online

I like the option to buy 1/4 and 1/2 yards, but agree with others that it should be priced by the yard not the half yard.
    cheriefaye

I think most of them require 1/2 yard. There were a couple I shopped at that only required 1/4 yard, but can't remember who they were.

I think that you can buy down to 1/8th Yard cuts. Just where you put in the amount you want go to the least amount.
    Plus some of the companys have fat quarters and if it is the end of the bolt almost any amount. I have seen down to 5 inch pieces.
    So just check it out while you are looking.
    Have fun kjym Kathy

what is the web site address for Threads of Time? Thanks

The places that I have ordered from, only two, had a one half yard minimum.

I have noticed a few online shops that will let you buy down to 1/8 yard. I usually buy at least 1 yard of all the fabric I buy but I have a pattern for a quilt where I need a lot of specific colors in smaller sizes and since I will only make 1 of this quilt, I would hate to have all that extra material around esecially since I am presently out of work and I have so much fabric already.

I have not bought fabric on line except once from e bay because I needed a certain fabric. The fabric was sold in fat quarters but I bought 4 and it came in one piece so I can use it any way I need to. I have bought patterns from Australia and the EQ7 and Dear Jane CD's from USA. I just bought 12 rotary blades from Threadart but that is all. I think it would still cost me a little more if I got them on line. I do not mind looking and hoping to be able to get something similar from here. I have been some wonderful sites thanks to you. I did not know there were so many. THANK YOU ALL :thumbup: :thumbup:

Most of the stores I buy from have a 1/2 yard minumum but will cut in any increments beyond that.

I like to make scrappy quilts so for the most part I don't need full yards. While I like to support my local quilt shops sometmes they just don't have what I am looking for.

I purchased 20 pieces of 1/2 yard cuts for a quilt so the cost came to $180. If I had to purchase 1 yard cut it would have cost $360 and I never would have made the quilt and the shop would have lost the sale.

If a quilt shop will cut a 1/2 yeard for a customer that comes into a store I don't know why they would have a different rule for an online customer. A sale is a sale.

I make mostly baby quilts and wall hangings, so I like to buy small amounts, less than a yard, usually. I don't buy at places that require us to buy a minimum of one yard or more. I recently bought some fat 1/8s from your store and am excited about getting them. I know I will be shopping there again.

Blog Entries
    Many online shops have a 1/2 yard minimum, or 1 yard on clearance fabrics. I frequently buy 1/2 or 1 yard pieces, but I like to have the option to get FQs of my choosing, rather than bundles.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Quilter
    I purchased 20 pieces of 1/2 yard cuts for a quilt so the cost came to $180. If I had to purchase 1 yard cut it would have cost $360 and I never would have made the quilt and the shop would have lost the sale.
    That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking when deciding what our minimum cut would be. I decided that 1/4 yard minimums would strike the best balance between what's best for our customers and what makes "business sense" for us. We do linear 1/4 yard cuts, not FQs, because it's easy and there's no potential waste (the other unsold FQ). And we charge the same price-per-yard (no price increase for little cuts).

Though... I admit my co-workers are known to breathe a heavy sigh when they have to fill a $80 order of all quarter-yard cuts! (That's a lot of time spent pulling bolts, cutting, and putting them all away again... plus you have to pay much closer attention to an order of 40 little pieces as opposed to one or two items.)

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingbea
    I make mostly baby quilts and wall hangings, so I like to buy small amounts, less than a yard, usually. I don't buy at places that require us to buy a minimum of one yard or more. I recently bought some fat 1/8s from your store and am excited about getting them. I know I will be shopping there again.
    I thought the fat 1/8 concept would be good for anyone doing I-spy quilts... for those, even 1/4 yard might be more than you need. For those of us for whom money is more than a little tight, pre-bundled 1/8s rather than 1/4s might make a project possible.

Banned
    quiltbugs, who is the cutie in your avatar? Just adorable!

I've never had any problems buying on line. When you mentioned threads of time it was so familiar. Is your threads of time located in Danville, Il. Mine is. I live about 40miles west. It would be interesting to meet someone on line who lives in my area.

because fabric is quite expensive over here I cannot afford metres(we don't do yards anymore) and can usually buy a quarter of metre, the cost a metre usually about 12. The cheaper fabrics on sale it is usually a minimum of 1/2 metre, we don't often have sales though.

I have to admit I have not idea whether online sites sell for less than a yard per fabric as I always order more than needed. You never have enough of those left over pieces and the extra fabric can come in very handy if you change what your initial plan was for the purchase. I've done that several times and ended up with too little material for the task I decided upon. So be frugal but wise in your shopping but never buy less than a yard of anything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Just wondering what those of you who shop online have discovered.

What's the typical "minimum cut"? Do you have to buy full yards? Or 1/2? Or 1/4?
    1/4 yard

Quote Originally Posted by loopywren
    because fabric is quite expensive over here I cannot afford meters(we don't do yards anymore) and can usually buy a quarter of meter, the cost a meter usually about 12. The cheaper fabrics on sale it is usually a minimum of 1/2 meter, we don't often have sales though.
    Like loopywren fabric here is expensive around $24 per meter. Only certain shops have it for $13. that is my LQS Bargain Box and the Spotlight stores, at the moment spotlight have it for $10 but soon it will go up too. I do like getting a little more than I need to cover shrinkage etc and the extra is good for applique or tiny baby quilts for premmie babies at the hospitals.

Most online sites I have looked at will cut 1/2 yard. I just finished a quilt that used probably 100 different fabrics, I only needed 1/4 yard, not even that. So it was the few shops that cut 1/4 yard that got my business. I probably spent $200.00, so I don't understand why they won't cut small cuts. I really hate it when you have to buy 1 yard with sale fabrics, if I only want 1/2 yard then the sale doesn't help me at all. I make mostly "controlled scrappy" quilts, so I mostly want lots of small cuts of fabric.

Blog Entries
    Many of the on line quilt shops will sell fat quarters, or will cut 1/4 of a yard of fabrics - others have 1/2 yrd or full yrd cut minimums............you just have to check....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2