Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minky for Queen size rag quilt? >

Minky for Queen size rag quilt?

Minky for Queen size rag quilt?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 PM

Default Minky for Queen size rag quilt?

Hi everyone!!

I'm new here and not much of a quilter (though I love them and they're so beautiful!) so I stick to rag quilts since they are so forgiving!! Anyway, I'm wanting to make one for my bed. I would love to use minky for the backing but my only concern is whether it will be too hot and won't breathe. Can anyone address this? Has anyone used minky for a quilt for adults? I know it doesn't rag as well but I love the look and softness. I also haven't seen how well minky wears as far as endurance/time. If anyone can address any of these things, I would be much obliged! Thanks!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:09 PM

I have only used Minky for a baby blanket so can't give you any warmth rating feedback. However the raw cut edges shred and fall off in short "tufts" so I would strongly recommend against using it in a rag style quilt. Just use it as a regular quilt backing. I found it very hard to sew with because it is so stretchy and slippery. Use LOTS of pins to hold the edges together when sewing. good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:26 PM

I love minky! I have made baby blankets and I used it on the back of a throw for my son with a thin batting. It def is very warm and cuddly. I think it is great in the winter (I live in iIllinois) but i think would be too warm in the summer. (A tip I learned, which worked for me, is to use a washable glue stick instead of pins. The minky won't move with the glue.)
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM

We live in cold Alberta so we don't have to worry much about being too warm . Just wasn't sure about it's breathability etc. You know that difference in heat that stays in cotton vs. something like fleece. I don't know if it's more like fleece or not. Thanks for your feedback!!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:28 AM

Yes, minky is more like fleece as far as warmth. It can work in a rag quilt but won't rag like cotton will. I have seen two pieces of minky ragged together, but not sure how a minky layer and a cotton layer would work together since one rags and the other does not. Try a sample of the two together.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I tried using minky once on the back of a quilt and you may find it quite stretchy and slippery as Jeanne mentioned.