Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Minky on a quilting machine???

Minky on a quilting machine???

I have a jelly roll race top and want to put it together with a minky backing. Question, have any of you done minky on a quilting machine? I have a midarm on a superquilter frame. Opinions please!

I have used it as the backing a few times. I quilt for customers and that is what they brought me to use for the backing and it has worked just fine on my frame and long arm.

I like minkee and even fleece for backings. It works best if you load the backing with the selvedge parallel to the rollers. Don't stretch it taut. A little bit of a dip is ok as long as you are not getting tucks in the back. I have even used a plush I found at a discount fabric store. The quilting looks embossed on the back!

I have used minky on the LA also and have loaded it both ways, just be careful not to stretch it. Turned out fine.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Thanks for your replys. I will give it a go.

I just finished quilting a minky back. The only issue I had was I kept thinking my bobbin thread was coming up. I kept adjusting the tension. It was a hot pink minky so I used hot pink bobbin thread and was using a white top thread. I kept thinking I was seeing a "candy cane" so I switched to a white bobbin thread but was getting the same look. I then discovered that some of my minky was coming up. Once I took it off of the fame and "petted" the minky all that came up went down. So just know that you might see some minky coming up.