Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Missing template

Missing template

I have a small triangle template from Missouri Star to use on charm squares....I just can't find it. I've looked in my metal container that is filled with smaller templates and it's not here. Not in with my larger templates either. Yes, I've actually seen this missing object in the last couple of months so it's not a figment of my imagination. Would you give up looking and order a new one or wait doing a certain project until it finally shows up? This is driving me insane as I'm usually very organized!!

Blog Entries
    Hold something similar in your hand and pretend that you have it and you are going to put it away. Did you put it where it belonged or choose another place? Usually you put things away in a consistent manner.

If it were me, and I bought another one, I'd have two.

Marcia

Blog Entries
    i'd wait on the project. i find that if something is missing, it shows up when i'm looking for something else
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

If it's inexpensive I would just buy another one. Not worth the frustration. I know how you feel though- drives me nuts when I can't find something I know I have!

Did you put the ruler with a pattern or the charm packs perhaps? What else came in the order? It might be mixed with it. Is there another ruler you can use instead of that one?

It does cause a little panic when we can't find our stuff. I hope you find it soon.

Power Poster
    Check any piled fabric to see if it slipped in. It is gong to drive you crazy until you find it. I lost 4 quilt blocks a week ago and thought I would go insane until they turned up .

I would work on something else for a bit. Sometimes when you are not looking for something that is when you will find it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

As soon as you buy a replacement the old one will show up!

Quote Originally Posted by Veinurse View Post
    As soon as you buy a replacement the old one will show up!
    That's what happens in my house!

I would quit looking for it and go onto another project and when you are looking for something else your missing template will show up. I do this all of the time. I will lay something down such as a small pattern or template thinking about something else and misplace the item. Hopefully this will happen to you and you find it soon and then you will say "why did I put that there?"!!!! Good luck.

It will show up once you stop looking for it. That's how it goes.

I wish any of the suggestions worked for my coffee cup. I wander around w/coffee in hand, set the mug down and lose it. Almost every day! So sure gremlins abound in my house...waiting for it to show up does not work for me. Usually find it where I've already looked 3-4 times! I get my exercise in the hunt LOL.

Blog Entries
    I would wait. I get mad a myself for buy a template (it seems you hardly need any of them). Then to buy one twice, would make me madder at myself than losing one. It will show up.

I think I would buy another.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I'm missing a Marti Mitchell template. I'm in Florida for the winter and brought my templates down with me but the one missing must still be in Michigan so I can't even look for it. I've looked online for a replacement but can only find it as one of a set, can't just buy it individually. So frustrating! I feel your pain!

When looking for an item I cannot find the problem seems to be that I have the wrong picture in my mind of what I am looking for. Will find the first item later when I am looking for something else.

When I get frustrated looking for something I order another. Really I don't look much more then a couple of hours, I reorder and forget it. The lost one may turn up in a week or a decade. I lost the apron to my knitting machine and couldn't find it anywhere. I found it six years later behind a bookcase in my quilting room and wouldn't have found it then if I hadn't decided to re organize my sewing room.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I am amazed at how many objects I find if I go through the plastic boxes of fabric and project I had taken to a retreat or a sew-day away from home. I am very slow and don't ever complete a project at a retreat. I don't put everything away when I get home, thinking I will pull that out soon to continue working on a project I had started. Is the template one of those off the pegboard at JoAnns, looks like part of a miniature tri-recs set? I would order another one. You could have ordered a replacement and been finished.

That is something I went through once and found it mixed in with the last pattern I was using it with.

My problem is 'moving' the item from one place to another and think I'm going to remember where I moved it to. Got so frustrated looking for items in my drawer totes that I finally made up an Excel spreadsheet. Oh, what a blessing and time that has saved. While entering my posts, I added a column for Replacement Cost, too. Surprising how many thousands of dollars of notions a person can accumulate!!! That said, I would go to another project and pray that the lost will soon be found (& usually near where you have looked before).

That happens to me so often it is just a way of life. Rather than buy another one - why not make one out of cardboard or a piece of wood if you have some around. I find things later. I was wondering if I had one that I could send you. Since I got my Accuquilt I don't use my templates anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    I have a small triangle template from Missouri Star to use on charm squares....I just can't find it. I've looked in my metal container that is filled with smaller templates and it's not here. Not in with my larger templates either. Yes, I've actually seen this missing object in the last couple of months so it's not a figment of my imagination. Would you give up looking and order a new one or wait doing a certain project until it finally shows up? This is driving me insane as I'm usually very organized!!

Here's a saying my daughter & I say when something is lost: "Dear St. Anthony, please come around, something is lost and it cannot be found".

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i'd wait on the project. i find that if something is missing, it shows up when i'm looking for something else
    This happens to me all the time! How is this possible?!

I wish I could help with the question, but I'm the queen of magical disappearances. Sometimes I drop something, feel it hit my foot on the way down, but then it is nowhere to be found. One thing I've learned in the sewing room: the wastebasket has to be placed under the table or far enough away that small objects I'm working with at any given moment can't roll off and throw themselves away. Another important measure has been to wedge a pool noodle between my cabinet and the wall to keep things from falling where I can't get them. (This also helps in the car between the seat and the console. Pool noodles can easily be cut to size.)
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post

Here's a saying my daughter & I say when something is lost: "Dear St. Anthony, please come around, something is lost and it cannot be found".
    Bahahaha! I read it this way in a book: "Tony, Tony, look around- somethin's lost that must be found!" It's the mob version, you gotta read it in your Sopranos voice, yo!