Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mitered binding corners >

Mitered binding corners

Mitered binding corners

Old 04-23-2017, 07:16 AM

Default Mitered binding corners

I use 2 1/2 inch binding strip and sew to the front with 1/4inch seam, all with no problem, however when I hand stitch the binding to the back my corners never seem to fold nice and neat and look like they fit properly. What do you do with the fabric that is in the corner do you clip it ? because it seems bulky in the corner.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I used to clip the corner. after washing, it looked 'wimpy'. after lots of careful folding, the corners look better. it took me lots of practice to get it looking right.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:55 AM

You might check out this Sharon Schamber binding video. Her directions for the corners have worked great for me. If you clip the quilt in the corner, it seems to me you'd have empty binding in that area, which you don't want. When I've had problems with the miters not lining up neatly, it's been because my seam allowance there was a little too wide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE
Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

To get a nice corner on back of your binding, pin the binding on both side of the corner you want to fold. With the inch of unsecured binding on one side, smooth it down to the corner. Lay a pin along the quilt edge and hold while you push up the unsecured inch on the other side to form a perfect 45* angle. Once the miter is perfect, pin in place until sewn.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I fold the "dart/miter" one way on the top and the "dart/miter" the other way on the back.

(Or vice-versa) - so the bulk is distributed more evenly on the corner. There is still a bit of a bump/bulge on the corner, but less than if both "darts" are folded the same way.
Attached Thumbnails 4-23.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 08:33 AM

I trim very little out of the corner and only if necessary. I may take a layer or two partially off, but never cutting off a triangle from all of the layers together.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:08 AM

I have had good luck with just cutting the batting/backing section of the mitered corner by just cutting off a "nip" to get the corner just right with the addition binding fabric adding more fabric in the corner. I have sewn all my binding by hand and that works very well.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 AM

I don't snip the corner. I tried it a couple of times and found that it the binding did not lay as nice and wasn't as full as the rest of the binding.

Another thought - don't press your binding in half before sewing it to your quilt. It will be much easier to manipulate the fabric in the mitered corners if it doesn't have a memory pressed into it.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM

this was a great video. Thank you so so much
Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 AM

I have found greater success when I have prepared carefully for the binding. First of all, the corners must be trimmed straight-right angles measured with a square ruler. Then when I sew on the binding I measure as I come into the corner. At 1/4 inch I pivot the machine and stitch off at a 45 degree angle. Take it out of the machine. Fold the binding strip up straight (180 degrees) fold it down onto the quilt. The fold must be even with the edge of the quilt. Start stitching at the edge of the quilt and continue to the next corner. Then, I press the b inding away from the quilt and make sure to press into the corners. Turn the binding and stitch down. I find the corners miter easily because of that understitching at 45 degrees. I do this method whether I stitch the binding on the back and finish to the front by machine or stitch the binding on the front and hand stitch to finish on the back.