Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mitered Vs. Square End Corners on Binding >

Mitered Vs. Square End Corners on Binding

Mitered Vs. Square End Corners on Binding

Old 03-27-2018, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

The wider the binding the easier the miter. I like using 6" strips for binding. It ends up being 3" wide. It adds such drama to quilts. Make the border to accommodate the extra width or add one for the binding to cover if no border. Once you see how easy a wide miter can be the little 1/2 miter will be a cinch.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-27-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I have never made mitered corners in my whole life. Do not even know how. Never had any complaints from people that I gave them to.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:36 PM

The binding is cut 2 1/2" and pressed, folded. I use either 2.0 or 2.5 stitch setting. I attach to the front --and lately I have been finishing the back side of the binding by hand stitching; I think it looks neater. I do stitch off at the corners at the 45 degree angle and then fold the binding. On the two quilts I've have mitered before, they were well done because my friend was here guiding me. On the last one I did, by myself, three of the corners were fine, but the forth one just didn't lay as well, I guess, as the others. It isn't noticeable from the front, but it doesn't look quite right from the back.

You know, I think what it is that bothers me the most, actually, is dealing with ALL THAT LENGTH! My friend suggested I do as she does: she puts the sewn together long binding strip into a tissue box and just pulls it out as she goes.

Another problem, I guess, is that I don't always have a whole lot of extra fabric left over; I basically buy what I need. So, if I mess this up, I can't just run out and buy more of the exact fabric I'm using of the binding. P

Perhaps I just worry too much...
Old 03-27-2018, 06:38 PM

Well, on these two particular quilts, I guess I will miter -and break down and call my friend; I don't on ones I keep for myself or one's I've made for charity. Maybe I will feel more comfortable after I get these done, but I am with you -no one has ever complained about my square cut corners...
Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 PM

Well, on these two particular quilts, I guess I will miter -and break down and call my friend; I don't on ones I keep for myself or one's I've made for charity. Maybe I will feel more comfortable after I get these done, but I am with you -no one has ever complained about my square cut corners...
Old 03-27-2018, 06:42 PM

Yes. I'm going to have the best of the videos I've found right beside me!
Old 03-27-2018, 06:48 PM

True, but it is the principle of the matter. I've only been quilting for a couple of years -well, not quite three yet, and I started out knowing NOTHING! So, I challenge myself. The last quilt I made -a wall-hanging, is the King's Crown quilt pattern, pieced with Moda Civil War Reproduction fabrics. I wanted to make it as a challenge to myself because of the many points that have to meet. I try to learn a new quilt pattern fairly frequently; the one I did before that was a Disappearing Nine-Patch -because I wanted to learn how to do it. So, I guess I would feel like a quitter if I don't master the mitered corner technique; I don't think I'm every really going to want to ALWAYS use it though. I honestly don't like it all that much -I don't think it looks as neat as the square corners. Time will tell...THANKS for your input!
Old 03-27-2018, 06:50 PM

I think you are right about the point that there is less bulk with mitered corners, and that may, indeed, be why so many prefer it. I don't have much bulk at all with my square corners, though, because I use a very thin batting: 1/8" polyester batting called Soft n' Bright by the Warm Company. It is really a nice batting, and I don't care for bulky quilts.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by mountainwoman; 03-27-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:52 PM

I think you are right about that -do what makes me happy and not what causes me stress. Still, these two specific quilts, unless I wake up and change my mind, will be mitered. I feel a phone call to my friend to come hold my hand is imminent...
Old 03-27-2018, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the encouragement!