Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mixing fabrics

Mixing fabrics

I don't usually mix a batik with other cottons in a quilt. Or a homespun with other cottons. Not sure why, exactly, just really haven't done it. What do you do? What are your preferences and why? Any reason for what you do or don't do?
    Jane

I have mixed batiks with cottons in an Asian quilt with good results. I'm a pre-washer, though, I wouldn't attempt it otherwise because batiks are tightly woven and don't shrink as much.

I am working on one right now that has both regular cotton and batiks just to get the coloration that I want. I have read several posts on here indicating that it works, so I am giving it a try. It does handle differently as in a bit firmer weave. I have heard hand quilters say that it is also harder to quilt. Don't know if that helps you or not, but I wanted these colors and that's the only way I could achieve them.

Blog Entries
    I mix lots of fabrics all the time- batiks, hand dyes, home spun, flannel, calico, corduroy, denim, silk & wool might all be in one of my quilts- I use what works/fits in at the moment- that I like, that will create the *image* I am creating. I also use a variety of batts, (not different in the same quilt- but might use a different type/fiber content batt in 6 different quilts) I have never been one to limit myself because someone doesn't think it's *normal*
    I started sewing way back in the mid 60's---in 4-H; made most of my own clothes and clothes for my siblings through out school- including winter coats- that contained a variety of fibers---wool, nylon, polyester, corduroy, fleece, flannel, my all time favorite was a pin whale corduroy outside- with a wool batting and a fabulously warm soft fleece lining- I've never had one fall apart, or turn out poorly due to a variety of fabrics.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I put it all together give it a good mix and see what comes out.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

I'm so glad you said that ckcowl I do sometimes too and always have. Sometimes I feel the "quilt police" give the wrong ideas. Thanks.

Thanks so much for your posts. I know that batiks have a higher thread count which is why it's difficult to hand quilt. I'm impressed with your skills, ckcowl. Would love to see some of your projects.

Thanks!

Jane
    Jane

I heard Bonnie Hunter speak last week at my LQS. She mixes all types of fabrics and her quilts are gorgeous!
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

I mix lots of kinds of fabric together. If I like them together, I will use them together...Go away quilt police!

Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    I don't usually mix a batik with other cottons in a quilt. Or a homespun with other cottons. Not sure why, exactly, just really haven't done it. What do you do? What are your preferences and why? Any reason for what you do or don't do?

I put fabrics I like together. One rag blanket I made had a poly cotton print, homespun and flannel I had intended to use all flannel, but couldn't find anything I liked to go with the two flannels I found.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I mix lots of fabrics all the time- batiks, hand dyes, home spun, flannel, calico, corduroy, denim, silk & wool might all be in one of my quilts- I use what works/fits in at the moment- that I like, that will create the *image* I am creating. I also use a variety of batts, (not different in the same quilt- but might use a different type/fiber content batt in 6 different quilts) I have never been one to limit myself because someone doesn't think it's *normal*
    I started sewing way back in the mid 60's---in 4-H; made most of my own clothes and clothes for my siblings through out school- including winter coats- that contained a variety of fibers---wool, nylon, polyester, corduroy, fleece, flannel, my all time favorite was a pin whale corduroy outside- with a wool batting and a fabulously warm soft fleece lining- I've never had one fall apart, or turn out poorly due to a variety of fabrics.
    I've used corduroy on two rag blankets this year.
    U N T I E

My experience when putting batiks and yarn dyed cottons together in a pieced quilt created an unstable stretchy nightmare. The batiks don't stretch much, if at all, but the woven yarn dyed cottons did. If I were to attempt it again, I would have used an iron on stabilizer on the non batik fabric to 1) limit the stretch and 2) reduce the fraying. I did not foresee this problem, but I sure was challenged to get the queen sized, strip pieced top together resembling anything close to square once I was already elbow deep into the project. I have posted a picture of the finished quilt...if you want to check it out...my Sunflower Patch. Just a heads up, and my two cents worth. Just an aside though, I loved the different textures I accomplished within the quilt and the colors. ;-).

I avoid mixing cotton and polyester....they just don't work together for me. I quilted a top that had both fabrics for a friend, and it was a nightmare.

I always go back to my ancestors-----------they used what they had---------whatever that may be.
    U N T I E

most of my quilts are scrappy, so with the string and crumb quilts I mix fabrics, I also use the salvages to give it more "interest" when I did a flannel quilt from my fathers flannel shirts, I used a pair of his yard work pants to give it a solid- really came out nice and didn't take away from the flannels. made a wonderful "memory" quilt.

Blog Entries
    I am a mixer!!
    Sewflower

Blog Entries
    In the "olden days", ladies used whatever they had handy at the time, and some of their quilts are in museums for others to enjoy - including those with mixed fabrics. I say, it's your quilt, do what YOU want to do, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Chances are, after it's all done, it will turn out better than you thought it would.

Kwiltr........where do i find your pic. I don't know how to get around this site too much but i love reading everybodies ideas on everything and i love love looking at all the pics. I could sit at the computer all morning
    going through everything.
    Evie

I mix fabrics also. Never really thought about it before. Good thread to start. Thanks

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm in the process of mixing right now. I've got cotton, linen and batiks in the same block. I told the "Quilt Police" the other night to get out of my sewing room. Don't you love it, when they say it can't be done, when people have been doing it for decades? BTW, I took the "Quilt Police" badge and through it away.

remember old time crazy quilts were all kinds of mixed fabrics!
    Fabaddict

I found My Sunflower Patch. I put it in the Search window in the black bar at the top of the page.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t221439.html

I just use what I like and if it's different, so what. I haven't had any problems so far, so go for it.

I don't tend to mix batiks with prints either. I think the texture is different as well as the look. I will add in a LITTLE if it is only a small amount, but that's all. I do mix homespun and "country" colors. As long as the look is the same as the homespun, I think they work well together, plus a whole homespun pieces is too much plaid for me. Now, all those rules go out the window if I'm doing a truly scrappy quilt, because all those would be scraps that I've used, so they get pulled into that kind of quilt.

I am about mix cottons and batik in a fish quilt. I'm using the batik for the background to give the look of water. I think it works in this instance. Otherwise, I generally stick to one or the other unless it's a scrappy quilt. I tend to think my batiks are "special" and deserve their own quilt. Just me being odd I guess, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast