Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixing Machine Applique and Hand Applique >

Mixing Machine Applique and Hand Applique

Mixing Machine Applique and Hand Applique

Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Default Mixing Machine Applique and Hand Applique

I have tried hand applique two times a couple of years apart. I am not good at it. I wonder if I could prepare the piece the way I do for machine (with Wonder Under) and then stitch around the edges by hand.

Has anyone tried this? Were you successful?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Banned

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574920[/ATTACH]

If you can see what I did here
Attached Thumbnails 100_0431.jpg  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

​The only problem you may have is it may be tough to hand sew through. Try it on a scrap and see.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I think Wonder Under is rather difficult to hand sew through. This type of work is done, but you might find it easier using a different fusible. I'm not sure which one is easiest, though. If no one responds with a suggestion, you might want to buy small amounts of several fusibles and test out which is easiest to hand sew.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 AM

I've done it using the really cheap fusible that Joann's sells, it's a 10 yard piece on a cardboard "bolt" for $10ish. Worked well for me. I bought several of these when they were $3 on Black Friday.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:48 PM

maybe try freezer paper and turn the edged over with that and then remove the freezer paper? I friend who is a wonderful applique artist does it that way-she actually uses a washable fabric glue to turn ad glue the edge to the non-shiny side of the freezer paper template.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:37 AM

I find fusible web a bit stiff for hand applique, but give it a try. You might like just putting the web stuff around the outside edges of the shape, leaving a "window" in the middle. That might make the end result a little softer.

There are many ways to do hand applique, not just the traditional needleturn. One year I taught a class in which we made the same shape (a heart) using a variety of methods. You couldn't tell the difference in the finished project. I like a book called "Applique 12 Ways." I think used copies are available via online retailers or used book dealers.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:50 AM

I have tried a method I like alot. I put a piece of interfacing (the cheap light NOT fusible kind) on the right side of my piece. Flip it over and sew on the stitch line or just inside a thread, leaving a gap for turning. Trim and clip as needed, turn inside out. Be sure to push out the curves and corners well. Press and use starch or sizing if you want. Take special care with the turning gap. Now you can hand or machine applique , your choice. I found a got nice edges. No one knows if it was needle turn or lined with interfacing. Small pieces would not work as well. This would work well for a travel project as well. Just plop it down and go...or glue a few pieces before you leave home.