Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MODA cake mix recipes >

MODA cake mix recipes

MODA cake mix recipes

Old 06-10-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I do that also, but with these Cakes you are also cutting through fabric. Dull a new blade on paper or struggle with a dull blade through fabric?
It shouldn't be a problem, if they are like most triangle or foundation paper. I use triangle paper in another form and it is very lightweight. It is not like cutting regular printer paper. You may have to change or sharpen the blade more often if you use these a lot.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 AM

When they first came out I immediately purchased the first 4. I have just started using one of the packets. Love it so far, I don't think I've ever made more perfect HST's they are all the same and no cut off points. I like them because of my tendency to pick up layer cakes without a thought as to what I'm going to do with them. I feel like I can start on one of these when I don't know what I want to sew but that I want to sew. Way to go Moda, it's thangles for layer cakes.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:18 PM

So each one of these recipe books has 40/42 copies of the pattern within it.........hmm, if you want to make another, you have to buy another recipe book? Or if,you want to make bigger than recipe offers.....buy another? Like someone said...books, patterns available free elsewhere. But a good way, I guess, of using layer cake (10" sq) most efficiently.....which I'm guessing these are aimed at.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:10 PM

Right, if you use the papers, you will use them up and have to buy the package again. Each book has about 6 different ways to assemble blocks. There are 42 papers per pack.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

I like the cake mix patterns. I couldn't care less if my blade cuts paper or fabric. It's a blade.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Could be wrong (I was once.....or twice ......but I think it's a great idea!

First of all, how many pattern books or digitals do you have laying around that have never even been done (?), and,

how many patterns have you actually made up out of each quilting book you already have ( think there's probably maybe only one .... the one that first caught your eye),

and members ask on threads all the time for an easy, quick quilt for an up coming occasion, and,

chances are you're only going to really like only one of the options anyway

I think it's absolutely ingenious and certainly guarantees success .
Old 06-10-2017, 07:06 PM

A friend works at Stitch, LQS. She did 1 as a sample because after Jenny's tute, customers asked about them. She said it went fast & precise. The quilt looks really good & I will be starting 1 tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Could be wrong (I was once.....or twice ......but I think it's a great idea!

First of all, how many pattern books or digitals do you have laying around that have never even been done (?), and,
how many patterns have you actually made up out of each quilting book you already have ( think there's probably maybe only one .... the one that first caught your eye),
and members ask on threads all the time for an easy, quick quilt for an up coming occasion, and,
chances are you're only going to really like only one of the options anyway
I think it's absolutely ingenious and certainly guarantees success .
very good points! And how true (for me anyway)--- looking at a bookcase filled with books I had to have-----now they sit....can't even give them away....and yes, a few layer cakes....same, this may be a solution for at least one of my problems!
Old 06-12-2017, 05:33 AM

Im half way thru a 40 pack of these and have not noticed my blade getting dull. I love the blocks. they have a new on out called Moda Cup Cakes that you use with charm packs instead of layer cakes. I ordered two last night from Fat Quarter shop.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the info re Moda Cupcakes, Maureen. Heard they were out but couldn't locate them over the weekend.