Moda prices going up >

Moda prices going up

Moda prices going up

Old 01-14-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
It's all about the cost of the cotton.

And to that I say:

Let's all go out and stock up on underwear!

(At least we will have nice undies while we dig through our stashes.)
I agree completely!! Or at least have the good/new ones on when they have to take me to the hospital cause I had palpitations in the Fabric store!!
ROFL! You can never have enough good ol' cotton undies! ha!Ha!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by jellybelly5000
I have heard dont be surprised at $12.00 a yard batiks
Joann's here in Chicago already has there Legacy Studio Batiks at $12.99! Which is more than the LQS, unless you use the coupons.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Oh, no! I wonder what they mean ALOT?!
I think the sales rep said the retail price per yard would be $12. I looked at the fat quarter bundles and the price would be $4 per FQ. Ouch!
tha makes pre-cut fabrics US$16 a yard, )one third MORE expensive!!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by windycitygal5000
I have heard dont be surprised at $12.00 a yard batiks
Joann's here in Chicago already has there Legacy Studio Batiks at $12.99! Which is more than the LQS, unless you use the coupons.[/quote]

I think Joann's COUNTS on their customers using coupons, and takes that into consideration when they set their prices.

After all, wh wouldn't you use a coupon?

You pretty much can get most of their items for 25% off if you just wait a bit. So I think they set their regular price that much higher than it ought to be, just so they can run it on sale and make you feel better for buying it at a discount.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by bonniebusybee
QUILTERS, UNITE! Stop building your stash just because you like a piece of fabric. Buy what you need for the project you're working on. If there is a tremendous backlash to this price increase, the price will come down!
That's exactly what I plan to do. I can see it now - I'll have 100 quilt tops but no finished quilts - I'd laugh if I weren't serious. :roll:

It's INSANE! And it's not just with quilt fabric. It's everything. The last pack of Scotch brand packing tape I bought isn't even sticky! They slacked on the stickiness to save money and now i have to use even more not to mention having to press it over and over and over to get it to stick. Don't get me started on toilet paper and paper towels..... :evil:
Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
I fear soon China /Asia will own us ALL and our grandkids will all be working for them !! :(
Soon??? They already do.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

QUILTERS, UNITE! Stop building your stash just because you like a piece of fabric. Buy what you need for the project you're working on. If there is a tremendous backlash to this price increase, the price will come down!
While I agree that it's wise to buy what you need for a project, as opposed to endless stash-building (like the lady who died with the huge hoard of fabrics), it is NOT true that if quilters stop buying, the price will come down. Quilting fabric is such a teeny tiny portion of the global market for cotton, we would likely have no impact at all on the prices. What would happen is that a number of fabric manufacturers would likely go out of business, or they would reduce the quality of the goods to get back to a price point that people would tolerate. (Think chain store quality.)

Somehow I just don't think that is the outcome we want.

To frame it differently: who do you think has more economic power, quilters worldwide, or the large numbers of people in China, who with their growing economy, desire to have more consumer goods (probably including clothing, towels, and sheets)?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
While I agree that it's wise to buy what you need for a project, as opposed to endless stash-building (like the lady who died with the huge hoard of fabrics), it is NOT true that if quilters stop buying, the price will come down. Quilting fabric is such a teeny tiny portion of the global market for cotton, we would likely have no impact at all on the prices. What would happen is that a number of fabric manufacturers would likely go out of business, or they would reduce the quality of the goods to get back to a price point that people would tolerate. (Think chain store quality.)

Somehow I just don't think that is the outcome we want.

To frame it differently: who do you think has more economic power, quilters worldwide, or the large numbers of people in China, who with their growing economy, desire to have more consumer goods (probably including clothing, towels, and sheets)?
I agree completely ... remember in the 70's when there where very few quilters , the selection of "quilters cottons" was very very poor. There was no local quilt shop , the only selection was at stores that carried a variety of all types of fabrics. The local quilt shop came into existance because of demand. If there is a falling demand there will be a domino effect encompassing manufactures to the local quiltshop and beyond.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 AM

And I, for one, do NOT want to lose my LQS!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
And I, for one, do NOT want to lose my LQS!!!
Ditto.