Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Modern or Traditional >

Modern or Traditional

Modern or Traditional

Old 09-24-2017, 10:51 AM

I like a few of the modern but love the traditional and make them most . I make the more modern when making for my younger family and stick to the older ones I love for the others. I have so many of the old patterns from DGM and DM that I keep going back to.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:10 PM

I like traditional quilts made with non traditional fabric placement, in non traditional colors. Cheerful quilts catch my eye.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:18 PM

I love traditional quilts, but fall in love with the ease of some of the newer patterns. so i'm all over in whatever i'm making, if it catches my fancy. artists, do what they are called to do.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:47 PM

I'm a Traditional quilter at heart. BUT this year I'm presenting Modern Blocks for the BOM at my guild. It's a more "mature" morning guild so the modern thing isn't getting the 20-25 blocks each month, like my Bonnie Hunter BOM did last year. BUT it's new to me, and new to many. We have to keep learning don't we? And I'm writing a short blurb for the newsletter to keep people going. It took me forever to add bold, bright colors into my personal quilts. I still lean towards traditional blocks for the most part.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I definitely prefer traditional patterns. I am not one much for modern fabrics either; I like my 30's fabrics and calicos and civil war prints, and just good old fashioned flower prints.
Same here. And I'm getting really tired of seeing grey and yellow together in quilts. Never liked it the first time I saw it. That's all you see in furniture "stagings" on HGTV, too. Yuck.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:04 PM

This year I joined two booms, here on the board, so that I could learn to do more traditional piecing. I failed at that. I would do about three squares with traditional/modern piecing and then I got bored. And I hate to cut up beautiful floral fabric. Most of the squares I sent back were like little art quilts. I think I shook the boom up a little. The boomers were very tolerant and supportive of the odd squares I sent back. They were also tolerant of the day of the dead fabric I sent to them. They are a great bunch and include some extraordinary quilters.

I figured out I like to design my own quilts/ squares. That's the best part of quilting for me. I don't like repetive squares or making a lot of one square. I like appliqué and embellishments and FMQ. I like asymmetrical quilts. I prefer the way quilts look when they have different elements in them.

So for me it's art quilts all the way. I've given up on doing anything traditional at all.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 AM

I don't have a preference for one over the other. Most of the quilts I make are traditional patterns, but that's mostly because I find it easier. I'm familiar with (some of) the traditional blocks and it's easy for me to figure them out. I don't "get out much" in the quilting world and am not familiar with the more modern designs, whereas the traditional ones are ones I grew up with. But some of the modern quilts I see here are fabulous! I really should learn more about them.