Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget?? >

Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget??

Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget??

Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM

I don't have a budget and used to be an impluse shopper. I have so much fabric that it feels like gluttney to buy more. I only buy fabric now to complete what I need for a quilt. Or for Olivia. I am making her a bubble gum pink fleece coat for winter. I will not live long enough to use all the fabric I have. :roll:
Old 08-21-2011, 05:16 PM

We are both retired with social security. We don't have credit cards debt, etc. - if we don't have the cash, we don't buy it. I do have one credit card for emergencies and I otherwise will put something on it and pay it off right away. After I bought the Kindle, I figured I didn't have money to spend for 2 mos while I paid it off - and during that time, when I open my email site, I immediately delete all ads (don't even open them) telling myself I don't need it, whatever it is, this month. It manages to control well and I don't feel deprived, I have enough other hobbies like embroidery hand and machine) that also keep me busy.

Marysewfun :-)
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
No budget. I'm a "on the spur of the moment" shopper. If I see a fabric that talks to me, I buy it!!" I have only sold 2 quilts, most of mine are donated to one charity or the other. My husband does our taxes and fabric is a charitable deduction.
Fabric is considered a charitable donation for tax purposes? I am assuming that you are in the U.S. I will have to check that out for our Canadian taxes. Would be nice to have that when you are donating quilts.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 PM

I have been trying to limit my spending, but so far it isn't working. My husband will retire at the end of the year, so then I will have to follow his plan. I seem to be collecting fabric, books, and patterns instead of making quilts. Now I'm going to try to sell what I realize I won't be able to use in my lifetime.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I have seen several members reference quilting or fabric allowances/budgets when I am reading through topics .

I'm still fairly new to quiling & am curious about how much each of you budget for fabric/quilting supplies each month.

How does it work - drowning in expenses - need to budget, any advice would be helpful
How much is in the checking account?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 AM

I wait for a good sale
Old 08-22-2011, 04:34 AM

I'm addicted to Dave Ramsey so have envelopes in my purse and spend cash only. I budget $200 for hobbies, which includes fabric and lots of yarn! As someone else mentioned, long arm quilting fees are different. I haven't successfully figured out how to budget those yet. Still working on it.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 AM

BUDGET for fabric puchases?? Thar's a novel idea!! But I am trying hard to only use stash. One online group has/had a "100 yard dash". The object was to use 100 yards of your stash.

If 100 yards of fabric seems like a way-out number, go take a REALLY GOOD look at your stash. After I looked in two closets, a big dresser, the cutting table, and the bed in the extra bedroom I was really shocked!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I don't keep up with what I spend for quilting every month. I've been blessed to not have to budget for years now. But three was a time I didn't have enough to budget so I know how to rub two nickels together.

..... reimburse hubby for what I spend on quilting........

That thought has never ever crossed my mind (or his) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by audsgirl
I have been trying to limit my spending, but so far it isn't working. My husband will retire at the end of the year, so then I will have to follow his plan. I seem to be collecting fabric, books, and patterns instead of making quilts. Now I'm going to try to sell what I realize I won't be able to use in my lifetime.
If you're going into retirement you may not want to sell anything for a bit till you see how that goes financially. It will cost a ton to replace fabric you bought at a lesser price that is probably better quality then what is made now!

I know when we first retired I bought no LQS fabric. We were in and out of thrift stores on a regular basis and was able to find a lot of really nice fabric..I would not have felt comfortable spending $ we weren't sure we had on fabric :)