Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget?? >

Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget??

Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget??

Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 AM

congratulations on your journey to become debt free. i made that pledge several years ago and have been debt free at least 4 years now. i absolutely love it and the sense of freedom that comes with it. i really do live within my means now.

Originally Posted by Faren
$50 a month for hobbies is all I can budget for now. We are in the process of becoming debt free. We should make it be Christmas! When the Sewing Guild went on a shopping tripping I did take along $75 not including lunch, that is a separate envelope!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 AM

I'm trying hard to save for all the huge sales at the end of the year & we don't have much extra. We're on a fixed budget, so I spend as little as I can get away with unless it's a really good sale. Just bought $30.00 of Autumn prints from Quilter's Stash who's going out of business sale is great at 30% off. It's the biggest purchase I've made on fabric in several years. Usually I just buy binding or a spool of thread & use what I have. Most purchases with coupons don't go much over $15.00 unless there's shipping.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 AM

I have one little stash of cash I keep separate. I do quite a bit of philanthropic sewing (don't we all!!!), so when I sew something for someone as a favor, and they offer to pay, I have them put a "donation" into my stash container. I use this money for flannel, tools, etc. that I buy on sale for items that are given to hospital, church, etc.
Originally Posted by JUNEC
I have seen several members reference quilting or fabric allowances/budgets when I am reading through topics .

I'm still fairly new to quiling & am curious about how much each of you budget for fabric/quilting supplies each month.

How does it work - drowning in expenses - need to budget, any advice would be helpful
Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
I limit myself to 100.00 a month. When I go shopping I don't take credit/debit cards that way I don't over spend. And I wait for the sales and coupons. I keep the money in a separate coin purse and what I don't spend goes to next months purchases. That way I hopefully have extra by time the quilt show is here since there is always so much I want there. If I buy online I put that receipt in the coin purse and take out the money and put it toward the card I used online. Just my little game I play with myself helps to keep credit cards down also.
I do not have a credit card and only pay cash when I decide to go and see what the LQS has on special. My debit card is only for buying things on the internet and I make sure that money is put back for the next time. I do not buy fabric only quilt patterns and the car insurance. The rest of the time I wait until I have the money first.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:35 AM

I do not have a budget per se. I do use a credit card or check and the credit card has to be paid in full soon as the bill comes in. That keeps me real. ;) I have been very fortunate in that I have been stash building since '97. When I catch a Sale, I stocked up. With 50% coupons I bought bolts of fabric at JoAnns. Now...if I see something I just have to have, I get it. But if it is a costly amt. I take that into consideration the next month or two. Our kids are all out on their own, we do not have many expenses & my DH is a workaholic. So he never says a word about my buying quilting stuff as it is cheaper than mental therapy.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by sheepla
I'm addicted to Dave Ramsey so have envelopes in my purse and spend cash only. I budget $200 for hobbies, which includes fabric and lots of yarn! As someone else mentioned, long arm quilting fees are different. I haven't successfully figured out how to budget those yet. Still working on it.
I too like Dave Ramsey! He just makes total sense! I got an envelope I put cash in for fabric! Tee hee, I am saving that and spending other money! Now I know that is not the way it is suppose to work ;)