Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moon Glow Quilt by Jenny Beyer the tool >

Moon Glow Quilt by Jenny Beyer the tool

Moon Glow Quilt by Jenny Beyer the tool

Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
MTS
Banned

Moon Glow is the quintessential JB quilt. I think it's her most famous.

While she hand pieces EVERYTHING, I personally wouldn't go near the Mariner's Compass by hand.
So, no need for the perfect piecer tool.

If you can get the foundations for paper-piecing, you've just saved yourself a lot of trouble. And since it's really only those 2 blocks in different color combinations, it's not that difficult. Do a practice block of the compass with other fabrics just to get the hang of it if it's your first time.

JB quilts look awesome because of her genius working with value and color placement.

She could even make a D9P look awesome. ;-)

Here's the link in case a reader is not familiar with the quilt:
http://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commerc...C710D36E84D4AE

And not that I begrudge her one penny, but Moon Glow kits surely paid for a ton of landscaping of her beautiful gardens. ;-) I'm sure she thanks every one of you that bought the kit.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM

Hi, this is an old thread, I don't know if you are still working on this or looking at the posts -- I am working on the same JB quilt and would like to trade notes. I am desperately busy with home repair, long work hours, and kids, but somehow quilting even just a little every day keeps me (more or less) sane.

This is my first experience with paper piecing. The huge roll of freezer paper was cheap and I like the nostalgic aspect but for the more intricate paper pieced blocks I may awitch to foundation piecing. Traced all of those little pattern slivers and cut the whole thing out a few weeks ago.

I won't be able to get to the machine enough -- there is always some mending or more urgent project that grabs me if I go near the sewing machine -- but I have the odd moment for hand sewing, so I am piecing at least the first blocks entirely by hand.

Not too happy with paper method so far: I checked my pieces very carefully and though I was painstaking some of my cutting was not accurate enough. The freezer paper starts to peel off as I sew, so I wind up marking the allowances anyway. I guess the lesson is that template plastic was a good invention! So much for nostalgia! Maybe freezer paper is better for applique? If I had it to do over, I would make plastic templates.

I have finished only one and a half blocks thus far; ripped out and resewed two seams because they weren't quite right. I can't decide whether I am enjoying the extremely careful sewing enough to justify all of the extra attention every detail of this quilt requires.

I spent the only full free day I have had in several years cutting this quilt out! How crazy is that? But I watched half of the episodes of "Intelligence" -- that great Canadian tv series -- while I cut and ironed, and it all felt like a real vacation. :)

What I am really worried about it is how I am going to do the quilting, after the piecing is finished. The completed quilt top is a masterpiece; I don't want to detract from it with poor or excessive quilting. I am thinking a lot about how to quilt it as I go.

Anyone else working on this gorgeous and monstrous project and needing tea and sympathy? :)
Old 07-26-2011, 05:36 PM

I have the pattern, not the kit. Her use of color is remarkable. The pattern is available on her site for free. The information I read is that this pattern is 20 years old and has never been out of print. It was originally a BOM. Now the glitch--the free pattern is 76 pages long. That's a lot of printer ink and paper!!
Sue
Old 04-17-2018, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat View Post
I have the same problem ... I inherited the Moon Glow kit from my sister and I'm afraid to try anthing. I had heard that you can paper piece the blocks, but haven't been able to figure it out. I'll be watching to see if anyone has any ideas to help us.

Hey.......I had the moon glow quilt for awhile also. It was intimidating, to say the least. I am an advanced-beginner quilter at best. The directions are given in a block of the month format. They also increase in difficulty with each month. I learned how to paper piece on this quilt. (but also watched a few helpful videos). My point....... give it a try!! If I can do it, anyone can! This is by far the hardest quilt I have ever done, but I am So proud of it. It hangs in my quilting area.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 08:02 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 AM

I made this quilt many years ago, at a relative's request, before I could hardly spell quilt. I didn't know enough about the entire process to be intimidated. My local quilt shop got me the BOM patterns and the fabric yardage and I went from there. It took me over a year during which we ate all our meals at the breakfast bar because my quilt was spread all over the dining room table! I learned A Lot! My points didn't match, it's not square, I learned new techniques and the seam ripper and I became constant companions. But the aunt it was gifted to has had it on her bed every since, she has shown it to all of her friends, and still comments on how great it is. When I visit her now with my more experienced view I can see all of the mistakes I made and wish I could redo it and give her a "better" quilt, but the only way she will part with it now is when the undertaker wheels her out. Perfect isn't always better.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-18-2018, 10:08 AM

The link to the website is still active. Loads of great patterns, block patterns, tips and lessons. Thanks for posting the link.