Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Moratorium on Fabric Spending

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Gave up that crazy notion years ago when I went to the fabric store on Jan 2nd to buy thread..... then walked into a thrift store where some quilter had just brought in some of her stash. I left the store with a huge bag full of FQ's for $12.00 .... I need an intervention...

Carole

Blog Entries
    I make the moratorium promise every time I buy. Just went to anniversary sale at LQS only to get backing for newly finished quilt top That fabric only cost $21.98 for 6 yards of Bernatex However I spent over $130.00 while I was there. The only bonus to that is when I tallied up all the cost of what I got it came to over $500.00 worth of fabric and patterns!!!!! I had buyers remorse for about.......30 minutes until I got home and stashed everything before DH got home!!!!LOL

I was going to write, smugly, that I only buy fabric when it is on sale...but then I read KalamaQuilts thought-provoking post and realized I need to rethink my strategy. Thanks for the reality check! I have been lucky enough to get commissions (quilts and other odds and ends) to pay for my habit over the years, but I think I definitely need to step away from the online stores and head to my closet!

*goes off muttering to stare at her stash*

Alison

PS Is there a QB contest/challenge for quilts only made from stash fabric? Or with some set maximum amount of fabric that can be purchased? I'm thinking that would be an excellent way to encourage each other...

I put myself on a moratorium on July 11, a mere 20 days ago. It is so very hard to do. I shifted focus to a goal of making 150 miniature blocks of varied designs, all from my stash. This way, I am touching and coordinating all kinds of fabric and making something out of it, even just a 4.5" block.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    I am also working from my stash, I buy only if I must to finish something but it really is a small purchase. The only big item this year was batting. I was totally out
    Patski
    always learning

I've jumped on the "buy no fabric" bandwagon and fell off so many times and have just finally said it is what it is. I have way too much fabric, but I love it. I love to look at it and pet it and envision what it will (hopefully) become one day. I will say that I would really, really have to LOVE a piece of fabric to pay over $7.00 a yard anymore. I buy what is on sale mostly. I did make up a list to buy from an online store last week...all on sale. Totaled right at $100 without the shipping. Thought about it long and hard and even though the fabric was on sale and I really wanted it, I tore the list up. Yay for me!! When I told my hubby about it, he said, "Why didn't you order it?" He is an enabler.
    I figure, if push comes to shove, I can always use my stash for insulation if we have a severely cold winter!
    So, here's to all of us fabric addicts....gotta love us!

Well, our Walmart closed down over a year ago and now is opening up a new fabric department this week.
    I will be buying my fabric at the place which has the cheapest prices with the best fabric.
    Da da-- da da da--- da da da-- da da da-- da da da-- da da da da, boom boom, honk honk, clang clang.
    Syl

I've cut back severely on fabric buying. When I moved everything to my shed, I ruler folded all my fabric. I was so surprised to see all the fabric I had! I've been quilting from my stash (that I can now SEE!) since about March. However, I bought an embroidery machine.....and thread.....and stabilizer.....and embroidery scissors...and etc. So I'm not sure I've saved anything. But I'm really having fun! I did hit a garage sale last month and bought a bunch of fabric, but I've already used some of it and it really was a good buy. I'm trying........

I am still buying fabric and I am a hoarder of it. I have one room that is full of fabric. It is all organized and I love it but I know that I need to really limit what I buy. I will not purchase material that costs that much. I will use a coupon or buy on sale if it gets that high. Ninety percent of the quilts that I make are donated and this will force me into not making as much to give away. I love making quilts to donate and although I never get to see the people who get them I still love doing it. Guess I will have to be careful in the future.

I've not stopped buying fabric, but really slowed down. And when I see it on sale, I really check it out now to be sure I get a good quality to the feel fabric. No matter how much I like it, if it isn't decent, I don't buy it.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

I haven't bought fabric from last December until our last local shop hop in April. I bought only what I needed to finish or add to planned projects and only on sale. This month I bought fabric to start on Christmas projects. Mostly I bought the focus and added from my stash. I did buy fabric for Bow Tucks for my DD and DGDs for Christmas only because they wanted something specific. So my spending has slowed way down. I plan to use my stash and only purchase what I don't have to add to something. No impulse buying.
    You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Those who wish to sing, always find a song. ~Swedish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
    Gave up that crazy notion years ago when I went to the fabric store on Jan 2nd to buy thread..... then walked into a thrift store where some quilter had just brought in some of her stash. I left the store with a huge bag full of FQ's for $12.00 .... I need an intervention...

Carole
    You & me both. I can't count how many New Years I've made the resolutionto just buy what I need to finish up a project (like border fabric) & then about week 2, I'm off the wagon. And it's not because I actually need any fabric. I have enough to supply all of us here for about 10 years. I can't help it... I'm an addict! I have been trying to be better about waiting till stuff is on sale (except at Connecting Threads since their stuff is so well-priced to begin with), but I still fall off that wagon, too.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

My sewing room is so full of material, all sizes, shapes, colors, even put up a few book cases to organize it all. And then we hit yet another auction and I came home with another truck load of material. Not once, but twice! I have so much material, I've begged my DH to stop taking me to these auctions! I have no more room - and I'm a neat freak - so hopefully he won't drag me along for a few months! I saw this comic in the newspaper, where 7 women sat in a circle, introduced theirselves and one said "Hi, my name is anne, and I haven't purchased fabric for a whole week." Others clapped. Guess it's an more of an addiction than I realized.

Guess I belong with you. I have only bought one piece in the last 5 months because I needed the color to work in an applique quilt. I have been using my scraps to make give-away quilts so that drawer is looking better. I have enough fabric to last me till I die and then it will just be given away so I am happily sewing it away! Surprising what you can maike with what you have, you liked it when you bought it so use it!

I tried to stop buying a few times.. but when I fall of the wagon... I fall off hard.

I have a fairly large stash, but every time I want to start a project, it just seems that none of what I have will do! And I'm a sucker for a good sale, clearance, coupons!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    So far, so good. No fabric purchased since the end of May!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I bought a new Vicking Seing machine back in April...I had to promise to cut down on buying fabric untill it is payed off. This does restrict me somewhat. I only buy fabric if I need it for a specific project and don't buy anything untill I am done with that project.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I have stash envy. I have unpacked my lone 18 gallon tub of fabric stash to a shelf so I can better see what is there. It's so depressing I may toss it back in the tub! LOL Can't buy much extra so I usually buy what I need per project and make pot holders or doll clothes from left overs. I know groceries are getting higher priced also so it may not be a productive year ahead for sewing or quilting.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

I too have not bought any fabric in quite awhile now. I am using the stash to satisfy my habit. Thank goodness the modern quilting phase is in......any fabric goes with any fabric theory....helps to clean up some of the "why did I buy that fabric"...........not my favorite patterns, but the younger gen likes 'em.......

I fell of the wagon after the first month. My LQS had a bunch of fabric on sale 40, 50 and 75% off. My car heard about the sale and drove right into the parking lot, how could I refuse. I stocked up at that time and have only purchased a few other pieces since then. Maybe someone needs to come up with a 12 step plan to help us fight off the need for fabric.

I made the same decision in January and have been pretty good about not buying fabric until about a month ago and then I went over the top in buying fabric. We visited a shop that I had been wanting to visit for quite some time and it was my undoing. I bought fabric for 3 quilts and I didn't even look to see how much it was a yard. That is a bad sign when you buy and don't even check the price. One of the quilts will be a christmas gift so I don't feel bad about that but the other two were just because I liked them.
    Lorraine

I too was successful with my goal of not to buy more fabric until I use up at least 1/2 of my stash. But sadly I discovered I have an evil twin who sneaks in new fabric because I keep finding it in my sewing room. She must do it when I'm busy cleaning house or cooking. LOL
    Maire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    Is there a QB contest/challenge for quilts only made from stash fabric? Or with some set maximum amount of fabric that can be purchased? I'm thinking that would be an excellent way to encourage each other...
    I love this idea. If there isn't one, shall we create one?

There's a UFO challenge that seems to work well for people. I love the idea of stash challenge. I'd play that game! Anyone else?
    jillaine

I just really got into quilting at the start of this year and I already have what I consider to be quite the stash (although some of you have stashes that are just incredible!). I had to put myself on restriction too - it's just TOO EASY to buy fabric that I have no plans for!!

Now I only buy for specific projects, and I only let myself get about 2 projects ahead of things I'm actually working on. It's really hard to pass certain things up, though, so sometimes I let myself buy something for "my" quilt...the mythical quilt I'll make some day when I'm done making them for everyone else! But I'll only allow myself a half-yard of ONE fabric for myself, so that's kept things pretty reasonable.

Of course, this forum is no help. Y'all have taught me about so many stores and products that I had to go check out! I would never have splurged for Aurifil on my own, for example. Now I have about a dozen spools of it. Thank you...I guess! LOL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast