Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which is more important? >

which is more important?

which is more important?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 AM

I would rather have a large cutting table, I can live with a regular ironing board, but one of these days will have a "big" board. My cutting table is roughly 5' wide and 7' long, which takes up most of my sewing room, 9x15, fortunately one of these days I'll have a bigger room. Please don't forget to post pics of your new room.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

A large cutting center is my vote, but I think you can have it all! Just take a piece of plywood, cut it the size of your cutting station, add padding & an appropriate cover and you have an ironing surface. You can store this removeable top in a closet or against a wall or cabinet.
Search this board or online for instructions. There are lots out there, here's one:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t215439.html

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-23-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have a large cutting station, much of which gets covered with fabrics, books, patterns, and other junk. We made the cutting station by purchasing two bookcases at about $17 each (on sale) from Staples and laying a solid core 36" door on top. It's not nailed down, just resting on top of flannel pieces that protect the bookcase tops, but it stays steady, is at exactly the right height for cutting, and is easily moved if that becomes necessary. Plus the bookcase shelves are useful, and I can store other things under the table. I also have an ironing board in that room (large normal size purchased at Costco years ago). I do iron large pieces of fabric quite frequently, and I make do with that board. I would not give up the size of the cutting station, but I do wish I would set fewer things on it, because I'm always clearing things off to cut fabric or batting.
Dunster, you MUST be a lost twin sister. You have a large cutting area and it is just going to get cluttered. I don't ever cut anything larger than 22" by 12". So WHY a large cutting station?? When you have a pieced quilt that needs to have it final pressing, it is so much easier on a large ironing surface.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 AM

I vote for both ! If your granite top is 34 x 58 you could easily put a 24 x 36 mat on one side and have hubby cut you a board 22 x 34 for a ironing surface ! Then you get both ! And if needed you can always pull out the old large ironing board when needed !
Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Definately a large cutting area
Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Cutting area for sure.....
Old 02-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I don't cut much as I use a die cut machine or pre cuts but I would choose the cutting table over an ironing station.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Can I just say that y'all are the best ever?!?! Okay, the cutting station, if I can make it work, wins. Then I'm going to do the plywood removable thing that was suggested (at this my husband will heave a heavy sigh...) Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to get my sewing table by the window, but I guess you can't have everything!! Thanks again~
Old 02-23-2014, 09:29 AM

I have a large cutting desk. I was using a 2'x2' piece of plywood covered for an ironing surface. It's great for smaller stuff but I hated ironing big quilt tops using it - too much moving the top around and trying to keep it from being wrinkled. I had one of those craft tables from Joann's that I wasn't using - one of the ones that fold down to 13" x 36". The open table is 36" x 59". I covered it and can open it up to iron large items and it doesn't take much room with I let the sides down - it fits right next to my cutting table out of the way. Best of both worlds!!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:45 AM

Cutting station to be sure.