Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which is more important? >

which is more important?

which is more important?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM

My big ironing board is a piece of 24 x 48 plywood covered with foil, then an old mattress pad and an old sheet stapled to it. When I need it I put it on my cutting table for use. Very handy to iron and then cut strips. Then stows against the wall.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:48 PM

I would vote for the cutting table; don't have that luxury. When I am cutting some, go to my dining room table, get out the cutting mat, ect, and do that. Pressing small pieces I have 2 boards my DH covered for me which work fine. Big pieces of fabric I have my ironing board in the laundry room.
So I get my exercise!!
Good luck! Mariah
Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 PM

I have a large cutting area but this week I needed both, cuz I was using fabric that is ... guessing 88 inches WOF? and stupid me followed advice to launder it first, wow, the wrinkles, no fun ironing it!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Large cutting station, you only press a portion at a time.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 PM

Cutting station. I made an ironing pad to fit my cutting board. I just use my binder clips that I use for sandwiching quilts to clip it to my cutting table to iron big things.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 PM

i love these threads! i want a large ironing area AND a large cutting area. right now all i have is one table for cutting and sewing and an ironing board. thank you for the info for me as well!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
a large ironing board or a cutting station?

I'm redoing my sewing room and don't have room for both, since DH is making me a ginormous sewing table. He made me a large ironing board in the past (24 x 68), but now I've gotten some cabinets from the start of the remodel (one with three drawers and one with two shelves) and we have a large piece of granite that can go on top (34 x 58). If I keep the cutting station, I could make a pad (like a fitted-sheet, type thing) for when I'm doing big ironing jobs, or I could just set up my ironing board briefly. But if I keep the ironing board, I could just use the free end of my sewing table for cutting, though it will be lower.

If you had your druthers, what would you choose?
Not going to be of much help, but I'd certainly want a dedicated sewing table, and a dedicated cutting table and a dedicated ironing board------------big to iron big pieces of fabric.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by kydeb View Post
I have a large cutting desk. I was using a 2'x2' piece of plywood covered for an ironing surface. It's great for smaller stuff but I hated ironing big quilt tops using it - too much moving the top around and trying to keep it from being wrinkled. I had one of those craft tables from Joann's that I wasn't using - one of the ones that fold down to 13" x 36". The open table is 36" x 59". I covered it and can open it up to iron large items and it doesn't take much room with I let the sides down - it fits right next to my cutting table out of the way. Best of both worlds!!
Now there's an idea! I have the same table and frankly hate cutting on it. Two wobbly even with it braced against the wall. But maybe for ironing...hmmm, will have to think about it. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:48 AM

I would vote for the large cutting area, but would have a board that can be used as an ironing area that could fit on top of the cutting table to iron large pieces of fabric and finished quits.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:53 PM

Why can't you made a large quilted ironing board cover using 2 or 3 layers of Insul-Brite between fabric, that fits your granite top? You could attach Velcro straps on one edge and roll it up and fasten it with the straps, like a bedroll, when it's not needed. There are also sticky Velcro pieces you could apply to your cabinets sides to hold the cover in place. You could even put some Command wall strips up above the counter top to hold the ironing board cover out of the way when you were cutting and not ironing. What ever you decide to do enjoy your nice new quilting room.