Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which is more important? >

which is more important?

which is more important?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:49 PM

My hubby made me an Ironing cabinet with storage underneath, when I need extra cutting space I put on the ironing table, it takes up half of the space, so I can still use ther other half for smaller ironing pieces. Here is a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 02:14 PM

This is the set-up I use. My son made the table out of a piece of 3/4" plywood and some Home Depot legs. I covered it with a layer of batting then a stripped cotton top. When I want to cut I add the 24x36 inch cutting mat and when I want to iron I remove the cutting mat and have a large area to iron. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails img_0017.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 PM

A higher cutting table wins with me. You can always store a flat ironing board somewhere and put it on top of the cutting table when you need it.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:57 PM

Cutting table!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

I think my cutting station is more important for me. I have access to an ironing board at my church group. Mostly, I do smaller pieces at home.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 PM

I have a cutting mat in the 26" x 30" there a bouts area in my crafts room, I'm dreaming of a bigger cutting mat which will fit my cutting table. hubby did make me a big ironing board that fits over my regular ironing board so I don't need to worry about that (except when he is watching TV, my big board is sort of in his way) so I keep it up only when needed but OH to have 1 huge cutting area...My dream come true!! Although I do have a GO! cutter but that doesn't help with the long wide cuts to be made. I'm sure I'll learn more as I teach myself to quilt.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:00 AM

I vote for the cutting station. I purchased a fold down the sides at Handcock Fabric and also purchased the ironing pad. It is great. Folds away when I need the space for "company" without too many hassles. Also stores nicely in a closet.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM

Thanks so much for this idea and instructions! I'm making a sturdier cutting table for my room (right now I'm using a 2x4" portable plastic table and it wobbles sometimes) and making one of this ironing board tops to store and use when needed is a great idea!!
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
A large cutting center is my vote, but I think you can have it all! Just take a piece of plywood, cut it the size of your cutting station, add padding & an appropriate cover and you have an ironing surface. You can store this removeable top in a closet or against a wall or cabinet.
Search this board or online for instructions. There are lots out there, here's one:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t215439.html
Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 AM

Cutting table!!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Cutting area....

Word of caution: if you are planning on using the granite top to iron on, make sure you have plenty of "insulation" between the iron and the granite. Excess heat can make granite crack. (Same thing happens with marble - but at lower temperatures). Also, granite scratches, so be extra careful with your rotary cutter.

Anita