Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: More iron troubles--the steam button is stuck down

Banned
    Blog Entries
    and it won't come back up! It always was a bit hard to push down, but now...I've tried everything I can think of. This iron is less than two months old! :|

Any ideas?

bj
    I'm pretty sure what I'd want to do (throw it on the concrete) wouldn't really help. Wonder if WD40 would loosen it. Or graphite? Or an ice pick? Just make sure it's unplugged! I hate iron problems.

can't wait to hear the response to this one! I bought a Rowenta iron at the thrift store for $5 and that is what is wrong with it. I tried to figure out how to get that button pulled out but wasn't able to figure it out.

return it!

do you have the receipt? Take it back where you bought it.
    Most electronics have a 1 yr guarantee.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    do you have the receipt? Take it back where you bought it.
    Most electronics have a 1 yr guarantee.
    I hope so...

:roll:

Blog Entries
    Find an old iron at a thrift store and take it apart. All the push buttons work the same on most irons so you will see what could be holding the button down and maybe how to poke it free.

Pam
    Probably a broken plastic part. Get the one from the thrift store and trade for the old one that WORKS!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I banged it a lot with my scissors..no luck. Bah! What a pain. It still works fine, so I'm using it for now.

I don't think we have the box it came in.

Blog Entries
    Did you register it with the company? If not, do so right away then call them in 2 months.

Good Luck!

Is there a dial to control the amount of steam next to the button? Mine has that, and I have to turn it around a bit while pushing on the button to get it to release.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    BB, do you use only distilled water in your irons? You should. It's the mineral deposits that make them start to sputter and clog and stop working. It's possible that there was a buildup in the button assembly. I've got a Krups (cost $100 in 1994, but it's still in PERFECT working order). I can personally recommend Krups brand of anything to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    BB, do you use only distilled water in your irons? You should. It's the mineral deposits that make them start to sputter and clog and stop working. It's possible that there was a buildup in the button assembly. I've got a Krups (cost $100 in 1994, but it's still in PERFECT working order). I can personally recommend Krups brand of anything to anyone.
    I think it now depends on the iron. My friend just bought a Rowenta and it says do NOT use distilled water. She has to use spring water in hers! I had never heard of such a thing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mzsooz
    I think it now depends on the iron. My friend just bought a Rowenta and it says do NOT use distilled water. She has to use spring water in hers! I had never heard of such a thing.
    Yeah? Well it sounds like Rowenta wants to sell irons to me! I would still use distilled water unless they could give me a really good scientific explanation!!

I've used Rowenta irons for many years; distilled water has always been a "no-no" for their irons, although the Rowenta pressure iron and steamer booklet says that if I use tap water, which is harder than 12 grains (who knows????), they recommend mixing half tap water and half distilled to reduce the hardness. They go on to recommend using bottled spring water entirely, but "NEVER use 100% distilled water as this can cause the iron to spit and leak."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    I've used Rowenta irons for many years; distilled water has always been a "no-no" for their irons, although the Rowenta pressure iron and steamer booklet says that if I use tap water, which is harder than 12 grains (who knows????), they recommend mixing half tap water and half distilled to reduce the hardness. They go on to recommend using bottled spring water entirely, but "NEVER use 100% distilled water as this can cause the iron to spit and leak."
    O
    I still say I want a scientific explanation. Distilled water is pure with no mineral deposits, and it is the build up of these deposits that make the irons spit and leak. It is kind of like saying that you should eat pickles if you have high blood pressure. It makes no sense. I think it is a ploy to sell more irons.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you Gai, but the directions said to not use it--or maybe it was it's not needed. We have hard water, but jeepers--I've not had it for even 3 months! The button next to it is to send water out front and it's fine. I'm afriad I can't do anything but use it--then toss it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Karla, if it is only three months old, take it back to where you got it and demand a full refund or a replacement!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    But--since my irons have lasted years before--I didn't save the box...and maybe not the receipt. I have to look. It was a cheap one... but good grief. Coffee makers.... irons... grrrrr.

Blog Entries
    this is why i never put water into my irons no matter what they say, or how much they cost. if i want steam i keep a spray bottle on the ironing board and can spritz at any time without worrying about what the iron will do now. if the iron still heats the way i like and is good other than the stuck button i would empty any water that may be in it, fill a spray bottle for steam and just keep using the iron until it doesn't heat any longer. (unless it can be returned of course)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    this is why i never put water into my irons no matter what they say, or how much they cost. if i want steam i keep a spray bottle on the ironing board and can spritz at any time without worrying about what the iron will do now. if the iron still heats the way i like and is good other than the stuck button i would empty any water that may be in it, fill a spray bottle for steam and just keep using the iron until it doesn't heat any longer. (unless it can be returned of course)
    good idea! Thanks.

:-D

I have a cordless Maytag Iron and it takes tap water only. I don't have any problems. I would let the water out and use it dry. I have seen Alex Anderson say she only uses a dry iron, and you don't burn your fingers as much. I thought that was interesting and tried it. It seems to work just as well.

Blog Entries
    return it