Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More stolen quilts! >

More stolen quilts!

More stolen quilts!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:49 AM

When I travel, I pack what I am going to need as I stop at the motels, and things like my camera gear and my laptop in the back seat and floor of the car. Everything else is packed into the trunk, which is NOT OPENED at the motel, or anywhere else I stop along the way. All my gear bags are black, and I keep several obviously cheap throws to toss over them....I put them on the floor, and cover. Then the travel debris, water bottles, snack bags, etc, gets tossed over that. When I stop for the night, the bags all go in with me....the trunk stays closed, and no one gets to see what may be available to steal....all they see is that it all went inside with me. I would never leave a quilt in the car. I don't even leave change in the holder, or an empty plastic bag. People will break in to steal anything.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Maybe it's time for the talented people who show quilts to sew tracking devices into them, or maybe they could all put some cheap store bought quilts in their cars rigged with explosive paint devices like the cash that banks sometimes give robbers. Wouldn't we love to see these creeps caught literally red handed!
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM

these days you should not leave anything whatsoever that has value to you in your vehicle...a big black market item is tide detergent, but if a thief sees a quilt he or she knows they have value on the black market... it seems that this started up with the tide the past year with drugsellers and users and it also seems that the economy and under/unemployed may be getting just as desparate to sell these things as well...
Old 03-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I was ready to mail 14 r/w/b blocks to a member here who was making quilts for wounded vets as well as 2 large boxes of food, toiletries, candy etc to my son in law and the soldiers in his Afghanastan unit and put them in the car so after I dropped my daughter off at school in the morn I could go right to the post office. Thieves took it all. police said-you won't see the food stuff but maybe those quilt blocks will show up tossed out somewhere. yep. so I'm back at sewing. people can be so dang rotten! nothing has shown up yet. guess I should be dumpster diving.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:41 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I love this!!!

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Maybe it's time for the talented people who show quilts to sew tracking devices into them, or maybe they could all put some cheap store bought quilts in their cars rigged with explosive paint devices like the cash that banks sometimes give robbers. Wouldn't we love to see these creeps caught literally red handed!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Sounds good as long as the thieves open the quilts outside the car!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I live in the St. Louis area and parking downtown St. Louis is very risky. My DH and I take the Metro. Thieves break into the cars and steal anything they can find. Our economy is so bad, thieves are stealing anything. Our old church had their A/C stolen two weeks ago. I am very careful what I store in my car and will remember this post in the future.
The thieves are breaking into automobiles anf stealing anuthing they think is of value to get money to buy DRUGS.
Nothing to do with the economy or lack of jobs. It is their HABIT they are feeding, not their bodies.

The thieves are just randomly breaking into cars parked in Hotel/Motels figuring people are not smart enough to carry anything of value into the room with them. We carry everything inside with us whenever we stay in overnight.
I lock my truck at all times no matter where I am.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Thieves are stealing copper out of anything they think has copper in it. Copper equals money for drugs. They would come into anyone's yard to steal A/Cs or anything else of value. They don't care how rich or poor you are. The money is free DRUGS.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Please put your quilts in the trunk, where no one can see them! Thieves will not hesitate to break a glass on a locked vehicle to get quilts that they can see. Feel so sorry for them. New Braunsfels, TX has those really nice Quilt Storage boxes that have glass sides and tops, and wooden frames. They sell at the International Quilt Show in Houston and from their shop. Sorry, I can't think of the name of the co. right now.

UOTE=QM;5066921]People will steal almost anything. Please lock your car when you leave your precious quilts inside. Also, check E Bay and Craigs list for the stolen quilts.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-2012, 04:41 PM

It is called Kerry's Kollectables. You really need to look at their site!!

Originally Posted by KathyPhillips View Post
Please put your quilts in the trunk, where no one can see them! Thieves will not hesitate to break a glass on a locked vehicle to get quilts that they can see. Feel so sorry for them. New Braunsfels, TX has those really nice Quilt Storage boxes that have glass sides and tops, and wooden frames. They sell at the International Quilt Show in Houston and from their shop. Sorry, I can't think of the name of the co. right now.

UOTE=QM;5066921]People will steal almost anything. Please lock your car when you leave your precious quilts inside. Also, check E Bay and Craigs list for the stolen quilts.
[/QUOTE]