Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More than one project >

More than one project

More than one project

Old 03-11-2016, 06:00 AM

I work on multiple things at a time. I usually have something sort of tricky I'm working on, and also something really easy I'm working on. I can only do "fussy" for so long and then I want to do something that works up quickly. I don't usually just make a single quilt from start to finish without interruption, unless it's something like a baby quilt that came up suddenly and has a short deadline.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:16 AM

I usually have several projects in the works. I have a tendency to put the brakes on the closer I get to being done. I don't know what's with that!!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I am piecing three quilt tops and quilting a baby quilt as I write this. Sometimes I get stuck with being short of a fabric or something I need to continue so I switch to another project. I had four quilts layered on my main design wall, so I finished sewing the rows of blocks together so there are now only two quilts. At the two quilt groups I belong to, I found it beatifically to have some sort of easy portable projects to work on.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:21 AM

I would love to be able to concentrate on finishing one quilt at a time! But I have to take an 'a little of this, a little of that' approach throughout the day, in order to humor a fussy back. So that means several quilts going at once, each at a different stage.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:27 AM

I work on at least 5 at a time. I keep a notebook with the next steps written out for each project. I'm embroidering the center block for a Round Robin quilt that will start April 1. We will have 2 months to do each border. Also working on a mock cathedral window jeans quilt, hand stitching the binding on an applique quilt just back from the LAer, have another applique quilt in the works, and doing the Stitcher's Garden class. We do one block a month (sometimes 2) for that class. There is always a project to work on no matter what I want to do any given day! I try to include one UFO on my list. It is surprising how much you can accomplish and crossing off the line items is so satisfying!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:34 AM

I also like to have at least three projects going at the same time, ideally at different stages of completion and different levels of complexity. For example, one of my current projects involves a lot of curved seams. I can only do that for so long ... another one is a log cabin using rather narrow strips ... another is a relatively simple table runner that I've done a few times, and that I love. It's amazing how different the same pattern can look from time to time, for example using dark fabric as background instead of light, etc.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I always have more than one project going. Bigger quilt, minis, smaller items, embroidery, felt,etc.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I task-switch also which is why I have UFOs. My starts are great; finishes......not so much.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 AM

I'm working on 3 quilt projects in various stages, sewing on the binding to a wallhanging upstairs and got the quilt machine going on one of my last UFO quilts. I try to pace myself with each project with set goals on how much I want to get done each week and strive for that.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Active projects, aka WIP, I currenly have: One on the LA which will most likely be done this weekend YAY, three in piecing stage of which one is in final borders and will be a top for the to be quilted pile by this weekend as well, and two hand appliques.

In the UFO piles I don't want to say. I think maybe 6 or 7? UFO is the non active. I got to a certain stage and lost interest but I will eventually get back to them. One of my active piecing projects came from the UFO pile. And next in line is also a designated UFO. I haven't cut into "virgin" fabric yardage in a long time.

Then there are my bucket list items of which I have the fabric segregated away from the rest of my stash along with pattern. At least 8 of those, maybe more.

In the "to be quilted" I have one bed size, one wall hanging and one child size quilt.

So I am firmly entrenched in the "more than one at a time" camp. And they are in all different stages so I can go from hand work to machine work to cutting to longarm at any given time or mood. I don't think I have ever completely abandoned any project though. All of them get pulled out from time to time and puttered with.