Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More on walmart and fabric >

More on walmart and fabric

More on walmart and fabric

Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 AM

One of the main reasons I don't shop at Michael's anymore is because they are owned by Mrs. Sam Walton, and I believe that they now much own JoAnn's, because you can now use Michael's coupons at JoAnn's. This has been just recently when they "super sized" JoAnn's. They now have less fabric and more crafts, so I'll just shop at Hancock's, not that I need any more fabric, I could probably open up my own store.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
I have worked for Walmart and Jo-Anns lets just say you don't know what gos on behind the doors.
really? how scary
Old 06-19-2008, 08:44 AM

WalMart - Joanns - Michaels - all ending up in the hands of the Waltons!?!?!?!? Oh no... I will be more frugal and shop smarter for quilt store material - maybe I should just use what stash I have and buy only for the quilts I'm making specifically!?!??! And use just the quilt store??? Scary is right
Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 PM

WHAT IS HARD IS WHEN YOU LIVE SO FAR OUT OF TOWN AND THE ONLY OPTION YOU HAVE IS WALMART.
JO-ANN STORES AND HANCOCK STORES EITHER HAVE CLOSED OR AS JO-ANNS HAVE GONE ETC ( EXTRA CRAFT STUFF)
I AGREE, I COULD OPEN A STORE WITH ALL MY FABRIC.
WHEN I GO OUT OF THE COUNTRY I BUY BUT JUST WHEN IN HAWAII LAST MONTH, GUESS WHOS BUSES GREETED US AT THE SHIP AND DROVE US TO THEIR STORES. LOL
I BOUGHT YARDS AND YARDS OF BIG FLORAL HAWAIIAN FABRIC.
NOW EVEN MOR STASH. SEARCHING FOR PATTERNS FOR LARGE FLORAL FABRIC.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-44658.jpe  
Old 06-21-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by salisaquilter
How I envy you! I lived on the North shore of Oahu for a few years and was not acquainted with quilting except to see some of the hawaiian quilts which was too overwhelming to consider! I wonder if I would have found any there?
Old 06-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Sal,
I have fabric envy, What beautiful floral fabrics.
Those are my favorites anyway, I just love flowers.

I have a medallion quilt I am doing for my daughter that has a 40 1/2 in center, then 3 stripes of 2 1/2 inch border of complimentary borders, then 6 1/2 in stripe of complimentary floral, then 2 1/2 in borders then 8 1/2 floral. Now you have a pattern for 92 inch square quilt!

I'll post the pics after I have pieced. Will be in about another month!
MJ
Old 06-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Hey, I recognize a lot of those fabrics! A while back, I pulled out all of my Hawaiian fabric because a friend gave me some scraps of Hawaiian material. I made a snowball quilt, using red vintage Hawaiian fabric for the set. Then I made a log cabin variation. Don't be afraid to gut up your fabric. It can be very effective.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

"Wal-Mart is not a company, it's an epidemic disease." L. LaRouche http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3044wal-mart.html They are a driving force behind the decimation of the American economy in so many ways. Here's a link to some interesting facts and statistics. http://wakeupwalmart.com/
Old 06-21-2008, 06:16 PM

I work at Wal-Mart and I love my job!!! Someone earlier said you don't know what goes on behind the doors. It is true, there is only so many things you can control. The rest is all done from corporate. They let the computers drop the schedules and that is why there are only certain amount of registers open and certain times. They use computer research to track their customer flow and base their schedules on the flow on previous weeks or years. I hate it, but there is nothing we can do about it. They even control the heating and air conditioning in every store from the Bentonville office. We can't control it. It is crazy but you have to admit they haven't gotten where they are by mistake. Mr. Walton might be rolling in his grave right now but he was in a different time gap. If he was here he might have got bitten by the greed bug just like the rest of his family. You never know.
I think this situation is about like politics, and religion, no matter what you are going to step on someones toes by saying certain things.You either like wal-mart or you don't but you shouldn't put it down to the ones who do like it. If the truth is known we would be surprised how many things that say Made in America that are sold at Target and Meijer and who knows maybe even Joann's was probably partially assembled or processed in China or another country we are unaware of.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:13 PM

WHAT IS HARD IS WHEN YOU LIVE SO FAR OUT OF TOWN AND THE ONLY OPTION YOU HAVE IS WALMART.
JO-ANN STORES AND HANCOCK STORES EITHER HAVE CLOSED OR AS JO-ANNS HAVE GONE ETC ( EXTRA CRAFT STUFF)
I AGREE, I COULD OPEN A STORE WITH ALL MY FABRIC.
WHEN I GO OUT OF THE COUNTRY I BUY BUT JUST WHEN IN HAWAII LAST MONTH, GUESS WHOS BUSES GREETED US AT THE SHIP AND DROVE US TO THEIR STORES. LOL
Next time you go to Hawaii.....go to Fabric Mart. It's right off of Kamahamaha Hwy, behind Cutter Ford. Easy to get to.
They have TONS of fabric. They even sell scraps from the local clothing stores.
That is quite a haul you have there. I recognize alot of that fabric! Walmart was the best place to go after 5pm for fabric, since the other places were closed.
There was also Kaimuki Dry Goods up in Kaimuki, but they are mainly a REAL fabric shop. ;)